Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Terry Wickstrom talks about using it for ice fishing in his latest Denver Post article. I was wondering how it compares to mealworms or waxworms. Anyone try it side by side with live bait to compare which works best? I'm especially wondering how it works on kokes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I like the 1" Fish Fry in pink color on a small pink or white jig head that lays horizontal in the water, with or without a mealworm/waxworm, I always seem to out fish anyone I'm with

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
I don't know if Chad LaChance ice fishes but he is the king of using it in open water..... Hit him up on FB and I bet he'd give you info(if he has tried them ice fishing) .... I only mention that because anytime I hear about Gulp products I think of Chad LMAO

·
Registered
271 Posts
I did extensive side by side testing with Smelly Jelly and maggots many years ago and found no difference in catch rate or size of fish. This was mainly on bluegill and largemouth. I used small Berkley gulp minnows last winter at Vega when the bite turned off and still caught fish. Why deal with maggots in the cold when you can use artificial baits.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have good luck them in open water, not so much under the ice. I may try some smaller sizes this year and see if that helps.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I saw a Chad LaChance show a while back where he used them for stockers. But, a bare hook may work for those. I may pick some up and see if I can out fish Slayer. ;)

s

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
I saw a Chad LaChance show a while back where he used them for stockers. But, a bare hook may work for those. I may pick some up and see if I can out fish Slayer. ;)

s
He uses them like every show on almost every species LMAO That's why I think of him every time I hear GULP

·
Registered
3 Posts
Terry Wickstrom talks about using it for ice fishing in his latest Denver Post article. I was wondering how it compares to mealworms or waxworms. Anyone try it side by side with live bait to compare which works best? I'm especially wondering how it works on kokes.
Did that in Oregon on diamond lake. Both caught fish but worms performed better.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've used the Eagle Claw Nitro Crappie baits with great success. They beat the nitro trout baits hands down. I've not had great success with Gulp baits. But when I tip a tungsten jig, I like a 1" piece of a nitro worm -- and I'll tip it with a wax worm. If the trout steals the wax worm and I miss the strike, often it will come back to take the colorful nitro worm. I tend to fish smaller baits for trout. Just my preference.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've used the Eagle Claw Nitro Crappie baits with great success. They beat the nitro trout baits hands down. I've not had great success with Gulp baits. But when I tip a tungsten jig, I like a 1" piece of a nitro worm -- and I'll tip it with a wax worm. If the trout steals the wax worm and I miss the strike, often it will come back to take the colorful nitro worm. I tend to fish smaller baits for trout. Just my preference.
That sounds like a great idea.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts