Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think about Berkley's Gulp products?

I have used the 3inch and 2 inch minnow grubs and killed bass, crappie, bluegill, and trout. I had a sample pack with a sinking minnow and wacky wormed it, but after 2 fish it died.

What's your favorite plastic? Assuming you can have what you want (scented)/

G

·
My brother is a guide in California. He swears by them. Says if you are only going to take one type of plastic out, that's what you take out.

To me, plastic is plastic (sorry bro).

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I bought a pack of the Berkely Gulp 3' shads and I am not that impressed since they cannot be preserved very well. The package says not to put a used gulp back in the package. I left one on my pole in my car and the next day it shriveled to a third of the size. I thought it was due to being left in my car in the sun was the reason why it shriveled. However, I put another one in my tackle box with other plastis and the same thing happened.

I am pretty sure they work well for fishing since it they are scented and look pretty realistic to a minnow but they are not very durable. Maybee, I will try just putting them back into the package.

Michael

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hear what your all saying. The one thing i like about them is that they are biodegradable (sp?). Even my plastics come off the hook after a few fish and usually i can get them in the boat and throw them away when i get home. I hate seeing them float or sing knowing that they will be there for a long time.

I agree Michael, it sucks how they shrivel and dry out. I dont see why you cant put a used one back in the bag.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Rome said:
it sucks how they shrivel and dry out. I dont see why you cant put a used one back in the bag.
It's precisely because they are biodegradable. Biodegradable means bacteria can eat them and digest them. After you have had one in the lake it has picked up some of those bacteria and you don't want to turn the little devils loose on your whole package. It's like the old saying, one bad apple can spoil the whole barrel.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see, i should have thought of that Walking Eagle, it makes total sense.

They have worked well for me, but they are about 2x as much as similar baits. I was seeing if people really feel they are better then the other soft plastics out there.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I don't know why but I've always avoided berkley products...rods, line, lures and plastics. For some reason that company just bugs me but I can't put my finger on it. I have felt this way for 20 years for some reason. so since I can't say on gulp stuff. I will say I like yamamoto plastics quite a lot. also storm stuff is nice because it's cheap and I gotta give props to the old standby...mr twister.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I like Gulp baits and lures. I think they work well, they don;t do the job for you but they can help you catch fish. They may be buying up lots of various brands, but that is what our country is all about. Making money...........

Most Gulp baits have a high water content. They dry out and you have shriveled hunk of leather. Be sure to remove them from your hook or you will have a tough time gettng it off later. Its probably just better to replace the hook the next time you go fishing anyway.

Dan

·
Registered
664 Posts
swimbait said:
i know why "this company" bugs you...

its their (un)official motto..."cheap and cheerful!" they spend more on adds
than the next five brands put together spend on R&D, and aim for 30%
total market share by 2010. they gobble up good product lines, dumb them
down, and milk huge profit. case in point: Mitchell. you cant but a Mitchell reel
anymore. you can get ones that SAY Mitchell, but most of us realize these
are mot related to the products Mitchell built a strong reputation on. same
for Fenwick. sorry if this bugs anyone, but these brands just aint what they
once was.
Bingo!

I've always gravitated towards smaller companies or ones that seem more "authentic" to me...not just in it for the money, but ones that design and develop products by (fisherman, cyclists, musicians, etc) for (fisherman, cyclists, musicians, etc).

It's the old punker in me coming out.

I agree 100%

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have to disagree with you guys that dislike Berkley. I have the utmost respect for their company and their products. I'm biased though because I grew up about five miles from their world headquarters in Spirit Lake, IA. However, the company started from very humble beginnings - Berkely Bedell making and selling leaders and hand tied flies out of a car as a teenager. His son, who now runs the company, is the one who bought out all of the other companies turned Berkley into the enormous corporation it is today. In my opinion, their product development is second to none. Many anglers would agree that Power Bait has changed fishing with plastics forever, Fireline is the premium "superline" out there, Trilene is still a premium mono after all these years, and their line of rods (I love Series One) are great quality for the price.

By the way, if you're ever in Spirit Lake, be sure to stop at the factory outlet store. Amazing deals on rods and line as well as $1 bags of Powerbait and Gulp.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Big Red does a good job of R & D but I can't bring myself to buy their products. I 'm pro Eagle Claw for obvious reasons.
My favorite plastic is the strike king bitsy tube.
Trout, walleye, bass, pike, perch all like it.

·
Registered
943 Posts
you can thank gulp for the new regulations regarding artificials because some people were just killing the trout at spinney on it. ???

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I like anything that helps me catch fish. >:D

G

·
I left one on my pole in my car and the next day it shriveled to a third of the size.
Soak it in water and it will come back so you can get it off your jig.

It seems the walleye guru's are about 50/50 on "Gulp!" Some guys say it's the best, others say it's worthless. I like the idea of putting a small piece of the earthworm Gulp on the tail hook of cranks. I'm planning on trying several different uses with the various Gulp products this year ranging from Kokanee to Northerns and Macks and Walleye's.

its their (un)official motto..."cheap and cheerful!" they spend more on adds
than the next five brands put together spend on R&D, and aim for 30%
total market share by 2010.
I agree, Berkley spends alot of advertising, are the products as good as they say,,, ?? ?? ?? The Blade Dancer doesn't seem to be worth the money, I haven't heard of anyone catching fish on them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts