Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Bernie, our local movie fishing star and guide has offered to try to answer our questions about lake trout fishing and fishing lake Granby. So I'm starting a thread. Ask your questions here, Bernie will give expert insight, but remember its still called fishing.

I'll start, How long will it be till I catch the next state record lake trout out of Lake Granby?

B

·
0 Posts
Bernie does lake trout? I havent seen that movie, what is the rating? I'm sure it will be winner !! way to go bernie...... ;D ;D

B

·
0 Posts
I'm sorry I guess I was just giving Bernie a hard time for being a movie star, I did not know, I will shut up now , please accept my apoligizes........

·
Registered
863 Posts
Bernie,what color tube jig do you prefer for lakers?...or what is your favorite method to catch lakers at Granby?

B

·
0 Posts
Terre, I dont know bob rated g unless you get the uncut version and you are the co- star,no apologies necessary just come fishin in my "fish-trap"with me , ken you had better watch this post closely, pitbull, tubes are my favorite way to go but i do not have a "go-to" color if i did it would probably be chatreuese,white or a natural color.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bernie,

A lot of people will be walking in on Saturday. Is thete an area that you would recommend these people try with good access and good numbers of fish. Also do you have a favorite jig size and weight?

T

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
bernie, is catching a big mack just a luck thing or are there areas in a lake that will give you a better percentage than others? if so what do you look for? is it a tme of year thing?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hey Bernie, I ice fish Granby alot,Probably 8-10 days last winter alone.I've caught a lot of macs,but all 17"-22".Still looking for that "BIG MAC ATTACK" :eek: I've always fished sunset point area because I have to walk in.Any of the "BIG ONES" ever come out of that area,or is there another area I should try ???

·
Registered
24,589 Posts
Bernie

Do you move a lot if the fish down your hole arent biting?

Or if there are fish present do you generally stay with the area hoping they will turn on?

Thanks!

Oh and what depth should we be looking for this time of year?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
An expert angler from my area I talked to told me to ditch the sucker meat when fishing for lakers, and use salmon egg smelly jelly. do you agree with this or not?

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TFB,

Agree or disagree, that sounds like you already have the answer you want. If an expert angler told you it works, try it and give us a report. Everyone has their own little tricks, all different, and all work in certian situations. I wouldn't expect everyone to use the same tricks. I think I will pick some up and give it a try.

·
Registered
297 Posts
TroutFishingBear said:
An expert angler from my area I talked to told me to ditch the sucker meat when fishing for lakers, and use salmon egg smelly jelly. do you agree with this or not?
I myself have only caught lakers on tubes & sucker meat, and a few on black spoons & sucker meat. but that's all I've ever tried on 'em (it's always worked), but
I'll give that stuff a try, can't hurt.

B

·
0 Posts
don't want to highjack Bernies thread but as to Don response, nobody I fish with uses sucker meat, if a big laker wants the jig he/she is going to hit it, your presentation/technique is more important. If you want little 19-22 inchers I do believe that little strip of sucker meat is important, and keep it fresh for the little guys.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Well, I'm going to suck it up and just use the smelly jelly then. I've probably caught over 1,000 lakers but none over 6.5 pounds and I am getting quite frustrated with them.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Tube jig with sucker meat never seemed to work too well for me @ Granby,so I switched to JUST straight sucker meat on a hook. It's worked great,although nothing over 22" yet. I'd be willing to try something else for the "BIG MAC ATTACK"

·
Registered
935 Posts
I have used tube jigs filled with a scent similar to the smelly Jelly, and it worked ok, although the fish were still not of extraordinary size. Of course, I didn't change my jigging action, and maybe that is important. Certainly, there has to be a big fish down there to take your bait, anyway.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts