Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I was just wondering if anyone has any tips about where to catch some nice Catfish in or around Fort Collins and what the best bait/setup would be. I was thinking about trying Dixon right below Horsetooth at night and using a slab of bacon on a circle hook with a mobile splitshot. Any help or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

W

·
0 Posts
There oughtta be dozens of gravel pit ponds up there that are loaded with catfish.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Captain America said:
There oughtta be dozens of gravel pit ponds up there that are loaded with catfish.
Agreed!! If i were you i would use a copmbo of Google maps... and the search function on here... and google searches.

Locate some potential places and go put in some time!!

Good catfish holes are hard to find and you are gunna be hard pressed to get to much info from people!!

As for what to use.. your on the right track with the circle hook... never used bacon myself but i wouldn't diss it for sure.. try all kinds of stuff... Hotdogs, Shrimp, Cutbait, ect Never know you may find a secret super bait ;)

Good luck to you!!

·
Registered
676 Posts
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure you can't fish Dixon at night. I believe Lon Hagler has decent cats. Give that a try. I tried Union in Longmont last weekend with no luck.

·
Registered
648 Posts
fishslap said:
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure you can't fish Dixon at night. I believe Lon Hagler has decent cats. Give that a try. I tried Union in Longmont last weekend with no luck.
One thing about dixon is you really dont want your car there unattended at night, ive heard of a handful of people getting their cars busted into. ive heard of some nice cats in there.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Since it's a Ft. Collins Natural Area you can't be in there from 11pm to 5am. I can't remember if different hours are posted at the parking lot, so if not you're good until 11 although the cats are very active early in the morning too. I thought about hitting up Lonetree this year but have heard some of the same bad stuff about vandalism so I guess you have to pick carefully where you chase catfish.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
In south Florida you do not lock your car when you fish the canals. Windows down, so they do not get broken.

I guess it helps to drive a junker...

I never had any problems in Larimer county. I fished all those places, a LOT.

SS

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone, and yes, dixon does have some vandalism issues, they even have a sign in their parking lot as a warning.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
For my money, Boyd Lake has the most and the biggest catfish near Fort Collins. Walk east from the launch ramp along the shore until the shoreline turns south, and fish along there. Stick a strong rod holder into the bank to keep your rod from leaping into the water. Night crawlers and crawdads work well, don't really know about commercial catfish baits. Even if you don't luck out with a really big one, it's not too hard to hook some 6 to 8 pounders.

Good luck.

·
Registered
152 Posts
5 hours at Douglas inlet with no luck the other night. Water is super high there and there isn't much dry land to stand/sit on. Only help I can offer at the moment.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts