Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are many different patterns that can imitate a crayfish, but what works best for you? Do you prefer using suggestive flys like wooly buggers, or closer imitations like Dave's crayfish or Bunnycraws? Do smaller or larger sizes worked more consistantly? I have seen imitations like the Baby-craw, but I have never used a small size crayfish pattern myself. In some of my favorite lakes that have signs of large crayfish populations, I have had good success with big, weighted brown/black buggers. I can only assume that the trout take them for a crawdad. I would like to tie a more life like pattern. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
171 Posts
As a guide I have thrown almost all of them, however I think that the Autumn Splender works the best. It crushes brown trout on almost every river I have ever been on. I think it is made by Montana Fly Shop. It makes trout crazy. >:D >:D And looks like most river crawdads

·
Registered
153 Posts
I still think that the "autumn splendor" is just a wooly bugger on crack... haha... seriously... its just a bugger with little yellow rubber legs...

·
Registered
171 Posts
yep thats the one, when it rains or the water becomes high and ugly that bugger crushes. If you fish it from a boat it can become deadly. I have seen the biggest fish in the river turn on that thing and chase it down. Pretty cool :eek:

N

·
0 Posts
I personally like the "full-motion craw". Lots o' marabou and rubber. Soft shell(lighter) patterns kill 'em sometimes of the year. Too many people forget to fish craws. It is my go to fly on the Colorado. Caught some pig brownies on the craw patterns.

·
Registered
171 Posts
do you like to fish them with a sink tip line?, lately I have been dead drifting a crawfish bugger and dropper, P.T dropper or a big ugly golden stone. I was sick of getting so many short strikes on the bugger I found that if I put a dropper 6 inches behind it we could increase our hook ups. Lots more fish. This is most deadly when fishing from a boat in deep holes. Sometimes you can find those huge fish down low!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts