• braid

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll finally have a dedicated topwater setup after the spring classic tomorrow. Should I go with 15lb mono or 50lb power pro? I'll continue using spinning tackle for small topwaters so I'm not concerned with that right now. For topwaters 1/2oz to 1oz I'll be using a 7ft MH with baitcaster. While I'll use some frogs on it, it probably won't be enough to justify a dedicated frog rod. I'm leaning towards mono for the best overall topwater setup & the best action, even though the occassional frogs won't hookset as nice. What do you think?

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
MONO or COPOLY!!!
No braid for topwater unless its for frogs. Even then sometimes 60lb fx2 sunline gets wrapped around the hooks.
Stretch is also good in topwater situations most of the time. Lets the fish have the lure a tad longer, keep trebles in better, and more forgiving.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Boondock said:
MONO or COPOLY!!!
No braid for topwater unless its for frogs. Even then sometimes 60lb fx2 sunline gets wrapped around the hooks.
Stretch is also good in topwater situations most of the time. Lets the fish have the lure a tad longer, keep trebles in better, and more forgiving.
I agree with boon.... but I found myself working braid with my topwaters a lot last year and I cant complain about it

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I use mono for everything. Used to use fluoro for lakers, but since switching to mono...haven't noticed the difference.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Boondock said:
MONO or COPOLY!!!
Braid for Frogs Rats or Wake Baits.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
As other have said, braid is for frogs and slop, then i go with 80lb but since there is no stretch you have to LEARN how to set the hook.

Ken, that is FUNNY SHIZ !!!!

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Wow our first unsanctioned MMA throw down...and I want to make it perfectly clear...I am a smart arse not a fighter!... :D

If they have to wear Krocs I am taking goon and the points!...

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Mostly Mono, but I love the no stretch feeling of a braid hookset. Flouro is not a good idea at all.

I guess I would say a mono that is low stretch like trilene XT.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Mrwigglestheworm said:
Saint Vitus said:
chuckphlegm said:
Saint Vitus said:
I use flouro!
Dummy.
fight me.
Hmmm... My money's on the phlegm chucking hippiequeer from the People's Republic... :D
That's homophobic of you to call him a queer. fight me too.

And Mono. I only use braid on my pimped out zebcos.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Saint Vitus said:
Mrwigglestheworm said:
Saint Vitus said:
chuckphlegm said:
Saint Vitus said:
I use flouro!
Dummy.
fight me.
Hmmm... My money's on the phlegm chucking hippiequeer from the People's Republic... :D
That's homophobic of you to call him a queer. fight me too.

And Mono. I only use braid on my pimped out zebcos.
I guess it was....Sorry, Chuckie... :D

I'm not going to fight you, E-Thug Goonie, but you've seen me out, next time you do, I won't run.... ;)

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I decided on 14lb mono. I changed the rod a little to a 6'9" x-fast. Thanks for the input and entertainment :)

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
FISHAH0LIC said:
I decided on 14lb mono. I changed the rod a little to a 6'9" x-fast. Thanks for the input and entertainment :)
Cool, might want to try a slower action if you have trouble keeping hooks in or getting them in. I normally use a moderate action and it is quite the difference. Most moderate actions are good for cranks and some jerkbaits too.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts