Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new here, but I am gearing up for ice season and I am having a hard time deciding on which ice line to use. I am new to ice fishing (2nd season) and I generally have a bunch of kids with me so I target wherever has easy, dumb fish (so far only stocker trout). I used Berkley microice last season and was not too impressed. I am looking at 2 lb. P-Line flouroclear. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I third Trilene XL. The last couple of years I have used Gamma ESP Ice on my trout rods and it has been great. Its a thinner diameter than the XL but more expensive. Trilene XL 110yd 4lb $2.69, Gamma ESP Ice 110yd 4lb $4.95.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I like Stren Original in 4 or 6 pound test for trout. The clear blue fluorescent is easily seen and low vis under water. In really clear water, add a leader of P Line CX Fluoro leader.
For perch and crappie, I use 2 pound P Line CX Premium in clear blue fluorescent. For lake trout, I use 12 pound P Line 100% fluorocarbon. That will work for pike as well. Walleyes, usually six to ten pound test. Walleyes don't fight like trout but jigging rapalas swim better on heavier line than lighter.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I use 8lb xl and then i put a 12 foot leader of pline fluorocarbon 6lb on the end of that. I feel like that 8lb helps when the bigger fish are burning line out on the longs runs and the line is rubbing on the bottom edge of the ice.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I really like the Trilene Cold Weather line but since I couldn't find any last year (probably because I was lazy and waited too long). So last season I tried three different brands. Stren, Cajun and Southbend. IMO the Stren sucks. Holds too much water and has a memory problem. The Cajun did better. It has no memory problem but will hold a little water but not as much as the Stren. The cheapy Southbend (Polaris) did the best of the three. No memory and seldom held water.

By holding water, I mean there would be droplets on the line as I reeled in and they would, of course, form into small ice balls clogging up the eyelets and freezing on the spool. Not good.

Oh, all line was 4#.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I tried 6 lb cx premium last year to get rid of coils. It did a pretty good job, about $8 for 300 yds. I'm usually inside so don't know about freezing..

·
Registered
262 Posts
Quicsilver171 said:
I use 8lb xl and then i put a 12 foot leader of pline fluorocarbon 6lb on the end of that. I feel like that 8lb helps when the bigger fish are burning line out on the longs runs and the line is rubbing on the bottom edge of the ice.
Ditto ... I spool 8# Trilene XL and then 20 turns of 6# P-Line. When I fish a dropper, I use 4 or 2# P-Line ... decided by the size of my drop fly.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Trilene XL 4lb with 5x or 6x flouro flyfishing tippet when trout fishing w/ microjigs, 4x or bigger with bigger jigs or bait. Good luck this year!~

The Waco Kid

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
grababrewski said:
Does XT have more reel memory (coils) when it's cold than XL?
Yes it does...I think XT is harder to work with on the ice but either work great...and are relatively cheap...I think the bottom of the ice cutting your line is on old wives tale...I have reached down and felt it several times during early ice and it feels about as sharp as well whatever isnt very sharp...I think you could rub your exposed wrist on it for the rest of your life and your arm would freeze solid before you would actually cut yourself or anything...puts on flame retardant suit...

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
zman said:
grababrewski said:
..I think the bottom of the ice cutting your line is on old wives tale...I have reached down and felt it several times during early ice and it feels about as sharp as well whatever isnt very sharp...I think you could rub your exposed wrist on it for the rest of your life and your arm would freeze solid before you would actually cut yourself or anything......
That's a great hypothesis....Arm will freeze solid before ice will cut line...I'll take notes while you try for the proof this winter....

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
hobiecat said:
zman said:
grababrewski said:
..I think the bottom of the ice cutting your line is on old wives tale...I have reached down and felt it several times during early ice and it feels about as sharp as well whatever isnt very sharp...I think you could rub your exposed wrist on it for the rest of your life and your arm would freeze solid before you would actually cut yourself or anything......
That's a great hypothesis....Arm will freeze solid before ice will cut line...I'll take notes while you try for the proof this winter....
nope the only thing sharp is the teeth on those predators, (fish that is). I'm a big fan of seagar fluorocarbon and use it year round.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Yes it does...I think XT is harder to work with on the ice but either work great...and are relatively cheap...I think the bottom of the ice cutting your line is on old wives tale...I have reached down and felt it several times during early ice and it feels about as sharp as well whatever isnt very sharp...I think you could rub your exposed wrist on it for the rest of your life and your arm would freeze solid before you would actually cut yourself or anything...puts on flame retardant suit...
[/quote]

I think your right about it being dull but im talking about when the line sorta cuts itself into the that bottom edge, then it cant move side to side real well, im sure you guys have seen this happen, sometimes it will make a popping sound when it frees itself.

·
Registered
16,527 Posts
Quicsilver171 said:
im sure you guys have seen this happen, sometimes it will make a popping sound when it frees itself.
Oh yeah the line popping all around the bottom of the hole. Freeky when ya got a pig on there.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Trying Cajun flouro in 6, 7 and 8# this season. I will let you know if its any good.
I used suffix elite and Trilene XL last year, and both performed fairly well. The suffix seemed to hold more water than the Trilene, which made the line appear brittle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts