Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4/18 - My GF and I were up at Vega to do my first How-To video for the channel, using Softbaits to catch trout. I figured there were going to be decent amounts of minnows in the shallows, so I wanted to try and match the hatch and use mini paddle-tail swimbaits (pictured below).

We got very lucky timing the ice off! There was a decent size patch of open water from the boat ramp by the dam to the dam itself, that went out about 15 yards. The ice still connected to the dam wall when we first got there, but with the warm weather and wind, it cleared about 10 yards or so of ice off the dam wall and made for a really nice ally all the way up from one end to the other. The Minnows were SUPER THICK and the trout were going after them...

We had an insane couple hours of fishing and I bet if we stayed a full day we could've easily caught hundreds of fish. If you choose to watch the video, i'm eager to hear your opinion on my how-to. I really tried to balance teaching with entertainment(fish catches).
Attached are some photos of the day and the video of the day! Enjoy and stay safe out there this weekend! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
That's a lot of minners...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a lot of minners...
I figured it was going to be a good call to use those softbaits that day due to minnows but I wouldn't have imagined there being that many...It was literally that thick for over 100 yards! Fish were going nuts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very nice! Would love to see some ice off northern pike action...
Man I went for them twice, failed...Caught two small ones between me and my GF, we decided not to make the video. Most of the lakes in my area are done with ice off that have pike in them. Next year i'll focus on that heavy, plan on getting a couple good pike episodes next ice season too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Went up there on Tuesday the 21st and the water was open where you fished. Also a couple small open areas at each end of the dam. I decided to fish the one at the north end and had no luck for 2 hours. When I looked up all the ice was gone out about 150 yards! Honestly, the ice went off almost all of the lake in 2 hours!! It was awesome! Never had that happen before.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went up there on Tuesday the 21st and the water was open where you fished. Also a couple small open areas at each end of the dam. I decided to fish the one at the north end and had no luck for 2 hours. When I looked up all the ice was gone out about 150 yards! Honestly, the ice went off almost all of the lake in 2 hours!! It was awesome! Never had that happen before.
I'm sorry to hear that, wish I could've given you some of those minnows lol. Were you throwing moving stuff?
That day(few hours) was the first time I really got to see the wind and water when its warm, effect the ice. It was really cool to see. I bet that was even cooler to see though haha! Hope next time you go out you slay em!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that, wish I could've given you some of those minnows lol. Were you throwing moving stuff?
That day(few hours) was the first time I really got to see the wind and water when its warm, effect the ice. It was really cool to see. I bet that was even cooler to see though haha! Hope next time you go out you slay em!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I wasn't really planning to fish that Tuesday. Just went up to see if the ice was off yet. My heart wasn't in it and just cast buggers from the bank.
I went up again on Saturday and caught a 15" rainbow and then on Wednesday I got 6, biggest was a 17" male. Here are a couple pics.
P4250149 (4).JPG
P4290155 (2).JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think I have about got a passable imitation of those minnows figured out. Next project is to figure out how to get them on Chironomid pupae and this summer I want to try night fishing for them.
You did really well on the Colorado through Glenwood. I have caught a few of those browns down by the Park at Silt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts