Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasted money on a St. Croix Truimph rod. The tip broke way too easy about 6 inches from the top. Before I waste my birthday money on more junk, what rod do you jerkbaiters recommend & why (spinning please)? I think medium weight would be ideal so it'll jig nice too. I want sensitive, stiff (though spinning), and durable (this time). I'm willing to pay for the expensive stuff but I'd prefer staying in the $50 to $100 range if someone knows of the right rod. Thanks in advance for the tips.

·
Registered
910 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
In that price range the best rod for the money IMO is the TFO spinning rod in Medium action, 7'. Mine throws jerkbaits well, is very sensitive and fairly stiff, tough as nails, has the split grip.
I got mine at Tacklewarehouse for 75, they have sales on each holiday and anything over 50 bucks is free shipping so the 100 rod cost me a total of 75, works perfect for jerbaits and bass jigging.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I use two. A 7' Medium action like everyone else and a 7' MH BPS Extreme rod to throw big baits, (5 inchs or more).

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I use a Medium action, 7' BPS Bionic Blade rod, and a spinning reel spooled with 15 pound power pro for jerkbaits. Plenty of stiffness to work a bait crisply. For big jerkbaits (the #12 and #14 X - Rap) I use 40 pound power pro spooled on a BPS pro qualifier, and a MH bionic blade casting rod of 7'.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I'd be interested to hear how the Triumph broke? I've been guiding and fishing with St Croixs exclusively since 2006 and have broken only two of them - one by closing the tip in a the rod locker, the other by sticking the tit in my garage door opener while it was running (don't ask...). Both were replaced by the factory. I guide with the whole St Croix line up - Triumph to Legend Xtreme.

I'd suggest a 6'8" medium power, extra fast action Mojo spinning rod for your jerkbait needs. CL

·
P I K E
10,084 Posts
Fishful Thinker said:
I'd be interested to hear how the Triumph broke? I've been guiding and fishing with St Croixs exclusively since 2006 and have broken only two of them - one by closing the tip in a the rod locker, the other by sticking the tit in my garage door opener while it was running (don't ask...). Both were replaced by the factory. I guide with the whole St Croix line up - Triumph to Legend Xtreme.

I'd suggest a 6'8" medium power, extra fast action Mojo spinning rod for your jerkbait needs. CL
Ummmm Chad...what did you stick in the garage door opener??? ::) ;)

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
TthePikester said:
Fishful Thinker said:

Ummmm Chad...what did you stick in the garage door opener??? ::) ;)
:eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Fishful Thinker said:
... the other by sticking the tit in my garage door opener while it was running (don't ask...).
Good thing it was yours and not "The Crusher's". You'd be replacing the whole garage door.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Doh! Don't they call that a Fruedian slip or something???

It was actually a brand new Legend Xtreme and I was literally unpacking it from the shipping tube it was delivered in. The pro-staff manager was thrilled with me when I tried to explain. CL

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
This'll sound extreme, but it will give you a good chance of finding a rod that feels "right".

Take your reel (make sure it is loaded with line) to a tackle store and ask them to lay out a set of different jerkbait rods (BPS, Gander, or Sportsmans would be a good place since they have a large selection). Put your reel on each rod and see how it balances and feels - maybe even take a few false casts with it. I've done this a couple of times and while it tends to drive the people in the store a little nuts, it does let you pick a rod that fits your personal preferences.

All that being said, most of my jerkbait fish are taken on an old BPS Extreme XPS 6'6 medium action spinning rod. It's not the lightest rod out there, but it has good sensitivity and, who am I kidding, I don't fish with jerkbaits all that often.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
FLYFISHGEEK said:
sounds like you need an UGLY STIK
:D

Chris,
I absolutely LOVE my BPS Carbonlite spinning rod for jerkbaits. Feather-light and extremely sensitive.....can't say enough good things about it. Reg. price is $109 but often goes on sale for $10-$20 less so it is in your price range. Any problems and the store is right in town for an easy fix/replacement. I have put mine to the test thoroughly this year too. All my other rods feel as dull as broomsticks after fishing the carbonlite.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
I love my G-loomis Bronzeback. It is a med fast action 6'9" rod with a ton of backbone to handle bigger lures but a little soft in the tip which allows you to control the lighter ones. Nothing but good stuff to say about this rod... I found one with a chip in the cork for $125.00... that sucker has a LOT of mileage on it!

·
Registered
181 Posts
solesearcher34 said:
X2. I fished with a Bionic Blade for quite awhile and broke an eyelet hitting a branch. Took it back to BPS and they gave me full credit and I exchanged it for a Carbonlite. What a difference. I even have one of the Johnny Morris Elite's and I like the Carbonlite better.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fishful Thinker said:

I'm glad you replied Chad. I thought of you being so into St. Croix and wondered your opinion of the Triumph. Last spring I bought two 6' Triumphs medium power/fast action/spinning. I'm not counting the one that SW airlines broke when they shoved my rod holder shorter. The one that broke too easy while fishing was not snagged, but I moved the rod (bending the tip no more than a fighting fish IMO) while tying a lure & it snapped. I wasn't that rough with it, but apparently I was too rough for this rod. I almost bought the Mojo last spring but it seemed the Triumph was slightly stiffer in the spinning style. I love the sensitivty of the Triumph as it's fairly stiff & extremely light. Do you think it's realistic to get something more durable in this class?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
FishDr said:
This'll sound extreme, but it will give you a good chance of finding a rod that feels "right".

Take your reel (make sure it is loaded with line) to a tackle store and ask them to lay out a set of different jerkbait rods (BPS, Gander, or Sportsmans would be a good place since they have a large selection). Put your reel on each rod and see how it balances and feels - maybe even take a few false casts with it. I've done this a couple of times and while it tends to drive the people in the store a little nuts, it does let you pick a rod that fits your personal preferences.

All that being said, most of my jerkbait fish are taken on an old BPS Extreme XPS 6'6 medium action spinning rod. It's not the lightest rod out there, but it has good sensitivity and, who am I kidding, I don't fish with jerkbaits all that often.
Not a bad idea. Watch out for me this weekend at BPS pitching a drop shot weight. Maybe I'll try the tank too. (JK on that last comment- good advice)

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
fischer said:
I've enjoyed my BPS tourney special. 7' medium, fast action. It has good action and feel, IM-7 graphite. For $50 it's been flawless for over 2 years and I don't treat it special. It gets decent reviews

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Tourney-Special-IM7-Graphite-Rods-Spinning/product/44529/-948300
I'm putting some serious thought into this rod. This is the very one I nearly bought instead of the St. Croix Triumph. If I recall correctly, your recommendation is slightly heavier, a hair stiffer, and from the reviews it seems more durable. It's about $20 cheaper too.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts