Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I have really been into jerkbait fishing, it's addicting. Never thought I'd be addicted to any other form like this. No better feeling then when you cast a lure and retrieve it and have a fish just hammer it!
I have been really diggin Smithswick Rattlin Rogues and floating rogues too. The brown trout and the walleye absolutely love them, I even out fished a bait fisherman with jerkbaits now that says something about jerkbait fishing.

Just want to see if anyone out there has any other recommendations on some lures. Thanks!

·
Registered
16,614 Posts
I out-fish bait fishermen all the time throwing Metal!

Just ask Glenn-:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
The question is: best for what? I have a set of jerkbaits that fulfill different niches. I break it down in terms of 3 criteria and my favorite lure(s) for each:

1. Action: wobbling vs darting. Hard to beat a good old Husky jerk when it comes to wobbling action. Darting: Lucky Craft Flash Pointer.
2. Depth: Bomber Long A or Basspro Floating Minnow for very shallow. Husky Jerk for shallow. Less shallow: Duo Realis 120 SP or Lucky Craft Flash Pointer 115. Deep: Lucky Craft Lightning Staysee.
3. Floating vs suspending vs sinking. Floating: Bomber Long A or Basspro Floating Minnow. Suspending: depends on 1 and 2 above. Sinking: Duo Realis 120 SP (it's supposed to suspend, but it sinks) or Lucky Craft Flash Pointer 115.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Jerkbait is also my favorite method. There are a lot of subtleties that can enhance/degrade performance and action, just like AOFisher says. I have to say I just recently laid out the cash for the Lucky Craft Pointers and they do have some crazy action! I also bought some Duo Realis spy baits last month and will give them a try (for walleye) once I get out on the boat a bit more and find some clean lines to fish.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I out-fish bait fishermen all the time throwing Metal!

Just ask Glenn-:ROFLMAO:
Yes indeed. The vibrato has done me well this winter, and those blade baits assuming that is what you mean by metal kick ass. My go to's are always a paddle tail, blade bait, jerk bait and a hair jig.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The question is: best for what? I have a set of jerkbaits that fulfill different niches. I break it down in terms of 3 criteria and my favorite lure(s) for each:

1. Action: wobbling vs darting. Hard to beat a good old Husky jerk when it comes to wobbling action. Darting: Lucky Craft Flash Pointer.
2. Depth: Bomber Long A or Basspro Floating Minnow for very shallow. Husky Jerk for shallow. Less shallow: Duo Realis 120 SP or Lucky Craft Flash Pointer 115. Deep: Lucky Craft Lightning Staysee.
3. Floating vs suspending vs sinking. Floating: Bomber Long A or Basspro Floating Minnow. Suspending: depends on 1 and 2 above. Sinking: Duo Realis 120 SP (it's supposed to suspend, but it sinks) or Lucky Craft Flash Pointer 115.
Thanks for the recommendations. I like to use the jerkbaits that are between 2-6 feet diving and float jerk baits too that go about 2-4 feet below when jerked. Those choices seem even a bit cheaper then the excellent smithswick's.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got my shipment in and am ready to get after some walleyes and browns. Going out East in the morning hoping for a fire bite!

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Nice assortment! Have you ever tried Keitech plastics? I've had good luck with them. Plastic can be deadly. But I'm a sucker for jerkbaits. A lot of time, I'd be throwing jerkbaits when I know plastics would be more productive.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have used one last year did well on walleye with them and browns too. My next shipment will have some as well as Maribou jigs!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good lures as well Tyler. I have not been successful catching walleye on DynamicLures yet but I won’t give up until I do.

·
Registered
367 Posts
AJ you've seen one of my travel jerkbait boxes. I like having a variety of different types but the main thing for me is depth and current. You got to apply the jerk bait to the water you're fishing. Dynamic lures HD trout works well in pretty shallow water and I love them in high mountain lakes. The Dynamic JSpec goes a little deeper and handles current a little bit better but I don't think it has as good of an action. Rapala Deep X Raps are a killer in reservoirs like Ralph Price and Gross where you're not worried about snagging if you go deep. I use yozuri pins minnows in shallow moving water like the St Vrain Creek and Boulder Creek. It can also be hard to beat an old classic like a Rapala Husky Jerk. And although it's not really a jerk bait per se Rapala countdown minnows are a classic. Caught my biggest Rainbow trout ever on a countdown 9 minnow. I like the live target trout lures as well, but they are overpriced a bit.

All that said my new favorite jerkbait is a Streamer!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts