Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious what people use to tie fluoro leader to braid. I have been liking braid more, but have noticed inconsistencies in the strength of my knot.

I am using 20LB fireline and 8,10, or 15 LB fluoro leaders and am tying an Albright knot. Sometimes it seems really strong, and other times it breaks off real easy. Maybe I just suck at the knot, but I am wondering what other people use.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
For that line size, a double uni knot works well. 6 wraps on the braided line and 5 wraps on the mono/fluorocarbon. For thicker line, you might try the FG knot.

·
Registered
16,685 Posts
I use a small barrel swivel. Easy to tie, line doesn't cut/ break. Line twist is virtually eliminated. Works for me. i use short leaders like 18-24" so my rod guides don't get jacked up by the barrel swivel.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
x3 if I absolutely need a leader. 95% of the time it's just straight braid. Haven't been convinced that a leader is necessary unless I'm fishing for toothy critters....

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice all. I have thought about trying the swivel method. The only concern I have is the lake I fish the most has super clear water. That being said you never know unless you try. Maybe 24" of leader is enough.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Troutbiscuit,
I too stopped using a leader on my braid many years ago. I usually fish lighter line, 4# or 6# but have not used a leader for 10+ years and see no disadvantage. Most of my spin fishing has been on the Frying Pan as well as the Ark in very clear water, in the South Park lakes I also go w/o a tippet, I tie the braid directly to a small snap, no swivel, with an improved clinch knot. I do use the Albright exclusively salt water snook fishing, I've found a minimum of 12 wraps insures it won't pull apart.
A good knot link
https://www.animatedknots.com/
Bill

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'm with Linh on the double-uni. I usually fish relatively light line for an application and can't recall ever having a break at the knot.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Improved albright (same as Alberto)... Great knot and easy to tie after a few tries.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Not much happening on this forum... This almost month old thread is still going... I thought I would add that, to me, the purpose of a leader is not just for stealth:

1. It's a shock absorber on a hard strikes/runs. I usually tie a 6 to 7 FT leader.
Braid doesn't stretch. Mono does. Fluoro does too (although it typically does not stretch as much as mono).
2. I'd rather lose 6 FT of a cheaper leader material instead of yards of more expensive braid. I usually use 10 lb braid + 10-15 lb fluoro, or 20 lbs braid + 15-25 lb fluoro. Almost 100% of the time, the leader will break before the braid. If the braid breaks, there is a weak point in it because braid has twice the rated strength (10 lb braid should be as strong as 20 lb fluoro/mono). If you fish a lot around rocks, the leader will also take most of the abuse from those rocks. I end up having to trim my braided line every now and then anyway, but not as much as if I just used straight braid.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Not much happening on this forum... This almost month old thread is still going... I thought I would add that, to me, the purpose of a leader is not just for stealth:

1. It's a shock absorber on a hard strikes/runs. I usually tie a 6 to 7 FT leader.
Braid doesn't stretch. Mono does. Fluoro does too (although it typically does not stretch as much as mono).
2. I'd rather lose 6 FT of a cheaper leader material instead of yards of more expensive braid. I usually use 10 lb braid + 10-15 lb fluoro, or 20 lbs braid + 15-25 lb fluoro. Almost 100% of the time, the leader will break before the braid. If the braid breaks, there is a weak point in it because braid has twice the rated strength (10 lb braid should be as strong as 20 lb fluoro/mono). If you fish a lot around rocks, the leader will also take most of the abuse from those rocks. I end up having to trim my braided line every now and then anyway, but not as much as if I just used straight braid.
^^^this^^^

·
Registered
680 Posts
uni uni 4 wraps braid 3 for flouro, super long leader-20 ft
never breaks with the amount of stretch that long leader gives you. and when its up close your knot isnt even in play

·
Registered
938 Posts
Flouro is also stiffer and prevents hooks from catching the line when you're casting. In a lot of instances flouro is more abrasion resistant as well.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Smaller the swivel the better. A heavy swivel will wrap the braid around your rod tip just when you see the Wiper boil.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts