Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my best fall fishing @ N. Sterling(2-3 years ago). I haven't been able to do much fall fishing the last couple of years.

Any lakes consistently produce from year to year?

Target fish would be Wiper, White Bass, Catfish & would like to give kokanee a shot(from shore). Heard it's good eating.

H3ll, catching any quality fish would be good right now. I haven't had good fishing all year....

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I love Spinney and Antero all the way up to ice on! I had a field day last october and November at Spinney. Best fishing of the year for Big Trout in my opinion! Pike also move shallow along the rocky area's once the weed lines fall apart.

To bad we don't have Antero anymore :mad:

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Theres something I'm wondering about-the statement the CDOW gives on their fishing report says they won't restock Antero until its 90-100% of full. I'm thinking if its just 60% full that would still be a pretty big lake and worth stocking.

Then I thought maybe they're afraid of having to empty it (again)and want it near full before they commit trout to this lake. Does anybody know. I guess its got some water in it now and I'm sure there are some south platte river fish that have taken up residence there. I don't trout fish all that much but I do miss this lake-the growth rates here are just phenomenal.

As far as good fall fishing-I don't think you can beat Pueblo for the wipers.

·
Registered
280 Posts
They won't stock Antero until its 90% because its to shallow and fish wouldn't make it through the winter. The good news is that it will be so full of fresh water shrimp and other bugs when they do stock it that the fish will put on an inch a month or more.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
The thing that is kind of scary about letting Antero sit 60% full is the suckers. You now they are already in there setting up shop?

Every time they drain Antero then quickly refill it, the trout go nuts and it is unreal for 3-4 years. Then the suckers take over and it gets to be 90% sucker biomass. Then the fishing sucks till they find a reason to drain it again! I wish there was some way to convince the DOW to put Tigers in there? Browns and Splake help but can't keep up with the overwelming numbers of suckers.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I avoid warm water lakes in the fall until I am sure things have stabilized after turnover, but from my experience, trout fishing heats up, so I head up to the hills, favorite in the fall-Williams Fork Res-not reporting any Koke action during October, not even sure about the snagging saeson, but the 'bows run real big and aggressive, similar story at Granby right around Sunset ramp, Had a good couple of days at Spinney late October into November when the water was warmer than the air and you had to bust the ice off of your rod tip after every retrive, 3# were about average.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
tbmanivong said:
I've had my best fall fishing @ N. Sterling(2-3 years ago).  I haven't been able to do much fall fishing the last couple of years.
So what months in the fall were you fishing up there during those 2-3 years ago?

1eyeReD

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1eyeReD said:
tbmanivong said:
I've had my best fall fishing @ N. Sterling(2-3 years ago).  I haven't been able to do much fall fishing the last couple of years.
So what months in the fall were you fishing up there during those 2-3 years ago?

1eyeReD
Mid September to Beginning of October.

It was raining on those nights My Brother & I was fishing.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Ah ha!! Nights eh?

See, I like duck hunting in early October during the 1st split season so I was always thinking about settin out a rod with a circle hook through a mussel while I was settin up decoys in the early a.m. We usually do this before light. Oh yeah, and I'll remember to put a bell on the rod too... And a heavy rock on the but end of the rod  ;D with the drag set to being loose.

So hey, thanks for lettin me know that you've been successful here before during the fall. I've always thought that the action would be like that, but kinda just needed the confidence to actually do it.

1eyeReD

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1eyeReD said:
Ah ha!! Nights eh?

See, I like duck hunting in early October during the 1st split season so I was always thinking about settin out a rod with a circle hook through a mussel while I was settin up decoys in the early a.m. We usually do this before light. Oh yeah, and I'll remember to put a bell on the rod too... And a heavy rock on the but end of the rod  ;D with the drag set to being loose.

So hey, thanks for lettin me know that you've been successful here before during the fall. I've always thought that the action would be like that, but kinda just needed the confidence to actually do it.

1eyeReD
My brother & I was hittin' it on the weekends from Dusk till Noon. Bites slows down after sunrise(but still enough bites to keep you staying). I lost my fishing rod there one night. Went to get something in the truck, came back and the rod was no where to be seen. Bells ringing in my head all night after that. I did get my rod back in the morning. Some lady fishing about 200 yards down snagged it up. I was hearing bells and my brother said I was tripping.

I still remember it was the last weekend of September- We came home with a load of fish. I counted a total of 65+ fishes between the 3 of us(Wipers, catfishes & monster bluegills). Biggest wiper was 28" and catfish was around that size. I have pics somewhere on a disc.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
so 1eye whats this "duck" hunting you speak of? is that where there are so many hunters you have to keep ducking to keep from getting shot?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
NealCO,

you ever catch a Pike up there at Anteror when it was full....Spinney, 11mile, and Tarryall have them...does / did Antero?

TH

·
Registered
24,633 Posts
Spinney for trout hands down...although I might try the Colorado by Glenwood after listening to the Junction guys...

I had a ton of luck for the walleyes at Chatfield last fall...

I have caught a lot of trout at Antero over the years...never a pike...I hadnt seen or heard of anyone catching one...and I threw a lot of big Rainbow flavored Rapalas in 11s and 13J...didnt ever have any bite offs or a pike swirl or follow on one for that matter...

They should of raised the dam like they were going to when they did the repairs on Antero...and solved the winterkill problem...drowning that much sagebrush would of created a larger version of the original Spinney...

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Whatever happened to that Antero Dam Increase idea....sounded great when I first heard it then it just fizzled? Logistics just didn't work? Would have been great...what were the details how many feet in depth and size would the lake have grown to?

TH

1 - 16 of 16 Posts