Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So whats the best lake or reservoir to catch a big brown trout through the ice? ??? I caught some last year at Blue Mesa, just average. Also got them at Tarryall, Clear Creek, Skaguay, and Cottonwood, but there only 10-14 inches and no weight. I've got some good ones in the summer at Taylor Park. In 22 years of fishing Antero and Elevenmile, I've never got a brown. HELP!! :D

·
Registered
16,527 Posts
In all the years I've been icing I have rarely seen a big brown come thru the ice. I can catch them at Granby kinda regular but certainly no giants-

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Granby's on my to do list, just like Lake John and Williams Fork and Wolford, etc. etc.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
cnelk said:
N Delaney would be a lake to try
Dude, thats a private lake. Jamie Hughes owns it--
Yeah I saw the property deed...he whipped it out one time when I tried to fish off the boat ramp...

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
zman said:
SLAYERFISH said:
cnelk said:
Yeah I saw the property deed...he whipped it out one time when I tried to fish off the boat ramp...
:D throwin the BS card in........... we dont need private lakes right jeff?! ;D

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Yeppers I would go to North Delanney...

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
elkdeerbear said:
Can't use bait at North Delanny,
didnt seem to stop some russian guys today at south delaney, they fished lake john with sucker meat and then went to south delaney with the same stuff...and these fellas lurk here and on fish explorer...they shoud know better..and we wonder why good lakes end up bad..... :-\

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
jamiehughes said:
zman said:
SLAYERFISH said:
cnelk said:
you sure that is what i "whipped" out? :D
Pretty sure...rolled up and small and white...

·
Registered
227 Posts
EDB,

Although I haven't found them "plentiful", I usually catch 6-8 nice browns each year at Antero. They are the exception rather than the rule for sure. I fish the lake A LOT, so like I said, not common, but they're in there.

I have no clue through the ice.....to me, ice fishing is kind of like beating your thumb with a hammer because it feels good when you stop....ice is for bourbon....just my humble opinion.
Obviously, I am a softwater guy.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts