Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on a magnetic net holder or alternate? I usually stuff my net in my wader belt, but didn't know if there was some magic net holder out there i was unaware of besides the standard magnet. Didn't find anything while searching the forum, but I've been known to be blind. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Between the magnets clogging with magnetite picked up from the stream bed, and the cord that hooks to the net getting constantly snagged on bushes/tree limbs and ripping the net off my back, I gave that system up.

Just an FYI. Ideal setup IME is wedging the net between a waste pack and my ass.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm not against your system (basically what i use), just curious if there was a better way. all i ever hear about the magnets are complaints.

·
Registered
438 Posts
nets are a waste of cash, time and sure aren't good for the fish. most fish I catch are released without touching.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I use one of those two piece keychains you can get a Walmart. Actually, I use two of them. One end goes onto my net and the other goes onto a loop on the back of my vest. With a little practice it is pretty easy to hook and unhook it from behind me and it has never come apart. The second one goes to the frame of my pontoon so I can snap the net on there when I'm floating.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Few times I have tried them they never make it to the end of the day because they get stolen by shrubs and trees.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
The magnet is handy if you see a lure in the water and do not want to get your hands wet or if you drop a box of flys and they scatter about you can retrieve them with the magnet.

I like to have my net attached to me so if i drop it it doesn't drift to the next dishonest guy down strream. With that said if or when I break this net I will probably goto the net in the waist belt but i do worry that if I fall on my arse that it will have a greater chance of breaking the net . ???

·
Registered
305 Posts
I've tried both methods- in my waist belt and on a lanyard/magnet set up. I recently switched to a hip pack so the waist belt works the best, but as CF pointed out, it is more likely to get broken when I go down in the river like I did this weekend.

The problem with the waist belt is that it can be a PITA to get out when you are fighting, and without a lanyard attachment it will float away if you need both hands to release the fish.

I used the lanyard with my backpack style vest and it worked well because it was accessible and easy to detach and stayed put when you need both hands. It will drive you crazy when it gets stuck on everything imaginable, though.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I use a vest and hang the net on the loop with a carabiner. When in the pontoon i hook the biner to the frame. I bought a magnet once. then I lost half of it in a willow thicket with my net. If I am bushwhackin i can stick the net in the backpack part of the vest so it hangs up less.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have not used a net for decades because of as others have mentioned the hassle of forever having to untangle from bushes etc. however if I did want to carry one, would strap it on out of the way with Velcro .... one tug & it is free.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hobby lobby sells a pair of magnetic hooks that are twice as powerful as anything sold in the shops for five bucks. Pound the open hooks closed and tie on your cords and your set. It's easy to find when you need it and reconnects easy. My preference over a stick in the butt.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Hobby lobby sells a pair of magnetic hooks that are twice as powerful as anything sold in the shops for five bucks. Pound the open hooks closed and tie on your cords and your set. It's easy to find when you need it and reconnects easy. My preference over a stick in the butt.
Good info right there! Any chance you will post a pic of what you speak of?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Between the magnets clogging with magnetite picked up from the stream bed, and the cord that hooks to the net getting constantly snagged on bushes/tree limbs and ripping the net off my back, I gave that system up.

Just an FYI. Ideal setup IME is wedging the net between a waste pack and my ass.
This.

Or try a carabiner.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for all the responses. i'm going to try the hobby lobby option as it's an inexpensive test run. worst case, i'll go back to the belt.

·
Registered
833 Posts
thanks for all the responses. i'm going to try the hobby lobby option as it's an inexpensive test run. worst case, i'll go back to the belt.
Let me know how it works! I fought with my net all summer... :(

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Ive gone through two magnets. One cheap, and one expensive. Both were complete ****. I stuff my net into the space between my back and my pack...the little rigid-framed mesh air-flow dealy space And if Im not needing my pack, I dont have my net, because Im usually just needing my lanyard, fly box and rod for skinny water and tiny fish.

As for homeboy's comment about nets being bad for fish, and him just releasing without ever touching. I disagree with rubber bagged nets, mostly submerged at time of release, being bad. Not the greatest, but no CnR practice ensures immortality.
Also, by friend "shakes" his fish off without touching them. Having seen this a million times, I cant help but think doing that kind of damage to a trout's jaw, is any worse or better than wet hands, forceps and a submerged, rubber bagged net.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Just catching fish is bad for the fish. Unless you eat what you catch, but then that is really bad for the fish. :eek:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts