Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a Pelican Bass Raider 10e and a Minn Kota Endura Max 55 trolling motor. I am trying to find a decent battery without breaking the bank. I generally won't be out on the water for more than 4-5 hours at a time, although I would like the ability to be out longer if I want. The trolling motor will be the only motor on the boat. I read that AGM is better than standard Lead Acid Wet-Cell batteries, but also much more expensive. I am looking for that sweet spot somewhere in the middle. Can anyone offer up some insight/lessons learned? This will be my first marine battery purchase. Thanks!

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/pelican-bass-raider-10e-fishing-boat-15pelubssrdrlctrcpso/15pelubssrdrlctrcpso

http://www.basspro.com/Minn-Kota-Endura-Max-TransomMount-Trolling-Motors/product/12091105032624/

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
I've said it before and I still swear by it... Keep your batteries charged well and buy cheapos... I buy wallmart or autozone (find good discounts on line) for about $90... They last me 3-5 years... I have never ran out of juice in a day of fishing, usually last 2-3 days using an 80lb terrova with ipilot.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again...

You can NEVER have too much battery when your only source of power is electric. I used to tell customers at Gander all the time, "buy the MOST power you can afford".

It's that simple. Buy what you can afford, if that's an AGM (which IMO is the best way to go for electric only setups), or it's an Interstate green top, series 28.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Almost all the batteries are made by Johnson Controls and then private labeled.

There are some differences in specifications but I am of the opinion they are minor.

I buy the cheapest battery with the best warranty. Usually Walmart or Costco.

And I'm not the guy that usually buys the cheapest thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
This will turn into a ford/chevy debate. I fish over 100 days a year, buy ever start batteries from Walmart and they give me good service. Usually last between 2-3 years-they're still working but run down quicker at that point so I buy new ones.

And like said, keeping your batteries fully charged is key. That and checking the water level every so often if they are not sealed. And keeping them out in cold weather will degrade them-bring them inside if the boat is stored outside over the winter.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
I ran series 31 Trojan AGM batteries. They lasted 8 years, and if you know me, you know my boat was an Aurora Res only boat. That means I ran those batteries as my only source of power for 8 straight seasons. We're talking never more than a minimum of 4 hours on the water.

I'm not saying that's what OP needs, what I am saying is, if he can afford high end batteries buy one... If not, buy the BEST battery you can.

For me, having peace of mind of not having to replace those batteries every year was worth owning them. Of course, I got them at a discount as a Gander Mountain employee, but the fact still remains, those batteries were the only thing on my boat I NEVER had to worry about.

For my transom trolling motor, I was running Interstate green tops, series 24. Always had to replace at least one each year or two. Never got more than 3 season out of any of those.

I never got my lower than 60% available with the Trojans. I have killed the Interstates on the water before though.

Anyway, hopefully you got some good ideas from the responses. And I believe it was BM that mentioned they're all pretty much made in the same place, so do some research, and get most for your money.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice guys. Any suggestions in terms of AH or BCI group? This website recommends 100AH and 27 BCI ratings. Thoughts?

·
Registered
740 Posts
Best bang for the buck in my opinion is the Duracell group 31 from Batteries Plus. They cost $120 each. They are a flooded battery made by Deka (the other manufacturer besides Johnson Controls) by East Penn manufacturers. They have thicker plates and if you maintenance them they will last a good while. I ended up getting 3 of the Bass Pro Shops XPS Power Series 12-Volt Marine Deep-Cycle Battery. They call it a 185 but it's a group 31. It is actually a Deka DC31DT31 which is the same battery as the Duracell. It was a convenience thing so I over paid by $40 per battery but that is OK in this case. I think mine are 105 or 110 AH.

Certainly cannot dispute mrwigglestheworm with 8 years of service however so.

If you can hook two together in parallel then you should do very well.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Trojan
Rolls Royce
OR>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>what you decide :bored:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts