Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the boaters out there - what is the best lighting option for night time launching and docking of boat onto a trailer?

Scenario - I have a 18 ft Lund on a shorelandr trailer towed by a tundra pickup with topper. My wife usually launches and lands the boat on the trailer. She does a super job. I usually man the truck/trailer. We have 2 small kiddies. What is the best lighting option?

Headlamps? Flood lights mounted on boat? Flood light mounted on truck? Handheld spot lights? Any suggestions very welcomed and appreciated.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Back when I night fished a lot, I used to have a truck with a topper, and a RAM mount screwed onto the rear-center of the topper. To that, I attached a portable flood light that ran on "D" batteries. Light angle is therefore fully adjustable. No wires to worry about, no fuses to blow, and relatively clean except for having a RAM ball on your topper. I used three small stainless screws, pre-drilled the holes in the fiberglass topper, and filled the holes with 5200 adhesive/sealer when putting in the screws. Just like mounting to a fiberglass boat. No leaks, no cracks.

The RAM came in handy for mounting a spot light on to tie flies at night (yes, I used to do such silly things!), mount cameras on (used to take pictures stream-side too!), and even attaching a rod holder to when fishing on "drive-by" rivers. RAM mounts are the next best invention to Velcro and duct tape.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
She cant see the trailer?

I never had a problem with just the trucks brake lights or better yet the reverse lights.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
If your trailer has sealed LED lights you can leave the running lights on when the trailer is in the water. Been doing it with my boat for 4 or 5 years now.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
crankn101 said:
I never had a problem with just the trucks brake lights or better yet the reverse lights.
Actually we havent tried it yet. Just thinking ahead since we're going camping in the summer. Will leave the brake lights on.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bionic Man said:
If your trailer has sealed LED lights you can leave the running lights on when the trailer is in the water. Been doing it with my boat for 4 or 5 years now.
Yup trailer does have LED lights. Good idea on leaving those on. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
bzboy said:
crankn101 said:
Actually we havent tried it yet. Just thinking ahead since we're going camping in the summer. Will leave the brake lights on.
Now I get it...

Yeah the reverse lights are bright enough. Just get a routine down and stick to it.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
If you're going to be doing a lot of night fishing, I'd go with TarponJim's suggestion. Some ramps like Trinidad are long and dark...John Martin can be the same...Can't have too much light if it's adjustable.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Um, who puts their vehicle in reverse at a ramp? I never do. It's in neutral when backing down so I can control the speed, in PARK when stopped, and "drive" when pulling up. None of these illuminate the "Back-Up" lights on the tow vehicle. On most trailers, the trailer lights will be underwater.

The only exceptions might be if you're launching from the shoreline, backing down snow/ice with chains in 4-low, or backing down a very flat ramp. All non-typical situations, especially at night. Most ramps don't require reverse. If you are in reverse, its harder to stop to await the boat being driven onto the trailer, harder on the brakes, and easier to make a mistake--backwards!

Hence, my reasoning for having a light back there shining on the trailer/boat.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Tarponjim said:
Um, who puts their vehicle in reverse at a ramp? I never do. It's in neutral when backing down so I can control the speed, in PARK when stopped, and "drive" when pulling up. None of these illuminate the "Back-Up" lights on the tow vehicle.
So youre they guy that takes WAYYYY to long and holds up the other boaters.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I launch and retreive my boat, BY MYSELF, faster than anybody on the planet! Guaranteed! If you don't believe me, I'll bet anyone I can beat 'em, and the bet is $20 per second for each second faster the winnner is. Any ramp, any time, any conditions.

I can launch and load mine 3 or 4 times in the same time it takes most.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Tarponjim said:
I launch and retreive my boat, BY MYSELF, faster than anybody on the planet! Guaranteed! If you don't believe me, I'll bet anyone I can beat 'em, and the bet is $20 per second for each second faster the winnner is. Any ramp, any time, any conditions.

I can launch and load mine 3 or 4 times in the same time it takes most.
Does the time include you rigging your lights??

Ill have mine loaded before you get down the ramp in neutral! :-*

What a DORK... "Wanna bet"

·
Registered
301 Posts
I don't need to do anything with my lights, or tie downs, or anything else. $20 per second for every second faster. I have the weekend free, and am coming fro Flaming Gorge. How about a Western Slope lake?? GFYODF will observe and make sure you pay up! You have to have at least $1,000 cash present, though it will likely cost you more.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Tarponjim said:
I don't need to do anything with my lights, or tie downs, or anything else. $20 per second for every second faster. I have the weekend free, and am coming fro Flaming Gorge. How about a Western Slope lake?? GFYODF will observe and make sure you pay up! You have to have at least $1,000 cash present, though it will likely cost you more.
Youre crazy bro. Im barley ranked in the top 10 at "solo speed loading", the #1 on the planet would just smoke me.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
crankn101 said:
Tarponjim said:
Youre crazy bro. Im barley ranked in the top 10 at "solo speed loading", the #1 on the planet would just smoke me.
Yep, crankn-

He would definitely smoke you. And whatever you do, don't let him talk you into any challenges involving ice rods! :D

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
crankn101 said:
Tarponjim said:
Yep, crankn-

He would definitely smoke you. And whatever you do, don't let him talk you into any challenges involving ice rods! :D
Does it involve hiding them?? Just playing...or am I

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
To the original question....if you have extra cash maybe try bluewater lights on your trailer. I don't have 'em....but I like what I've seen and read about them.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Taillights on you truck should be enough or your cargo lights if you don't have a camper, if not buy a cheap headlight from walmart, oh and make sure you turn you brights on while at the ramp so the next person coming down will be able to see, it's always helpful

1 - 20 of 25 Posts