Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little ones are 4 and 2. They just got their first fishing rods and they really want to go fishing. I grew up in AZ, I know where all the good kid spots are there, but not here in Colorado. I live in NE denver, where is a close place to take them fishing where they will see some action quick (without getting bored fast). I am looking for bluegills or other panfish. thanks

·
Registered
699 Posts
hey reconabe where in az did you grow up i lived in yuma wickenburg prescott and metro phoenix

·
Registered
943 Posts
take them up to webster lake. they just stocked it with trout. also they have alot of bluegills there just a hook and a bobber should do the trick just put a small piece of worm on there and look out. good luck

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
azbassernco said:
hey reconabe where in az did you grow up i lived in yuma wickenburg prescott and metro phoenix
Yuma? yuck I was stationed at the proving grounds out there for a little while... That place sucked.

·
Registered
699 Posts
ePiC said:
azbassernco said:
Yuma?  yuck I was stationed at the proving grounds out there for a little while... That place sucked.
yeah but some of the best cat and bass fishing in the state is in the co river marshlands

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Drat the luck, I didnt have a fishing pole with me while I was out there.

·
Registered
66 Posts
[quote author=afishman take them up to webster lake. they just stocked it with trout. also they have alot of bluegills there just a hook and a bobber should do the trick just put a small piece of worm on there and look out. good luck

I agree, it's a great place to take little ones. Webster lake was renamed to EBRains park. It's right across the street from the Northglenn community center. I would say fish for gills right by the building as you enter the park. Many gills underneath the dock.
Jeff

·
Registered
185 Posts
You also might wanna try ST. Vrain ponds (formerly barbour ponds). They stock it heavily in the spring, and the action can get quite fast.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the great responses. I grew up in Mesa, AZ. there was a city pond down the street from where I grew up that always held tons of bluegills and sunnies. I was in the Marines and spent some time in Yuma also.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Get a copy of Fishing Close to Home, put out by the Division of Wildlife. It has lots of good info about places around Denver and the suburbs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I took the advice and took my kids to webster lake up in northglenn. It was close, but even for a weekday it was CROWDED! I couldnt believe how many people were fishing on a workday (Iplayed hooky) I guess they did too. We had a hard time casting due to the wind, came home empty handed, but the kids had alot of fun.

ANY other suggestions?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Try Cenntenial Lake on Union between Federal and Santa Fe. That is where I take my friends and their kids. Usally not crowded during the week.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Chief said:
Try Cenntenial Lake on Union between Federal and Santa Fe. That is where I take my friends and their kids.  Usally not crowded during the week.
but good luck finding a spot on weekends. whew!
centennial used to be a gravel pit. water there is deep and holds few overgrown rainbows. i have hooked up some 15inchers there. heard of fish up to 5lbs. use power bait with about a foot and a half of leader from a sinker. use smallest hooks u can.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts