Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a good choic for a 3yo to be able to cast and actually fish a bit. The Spider-Man/princess combos get pretty horrid reviews. Is there anything good? Esp anything a toddler can operate solo?

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
3 year olds don't do well casting period....
If you go over 4'-4.6" they drag the rod even worse and hit the ground a ton.
I pretty must cast for my kid every time
Will be interesting to see if others have suggestions. My olderest turns 4 in September. Thinking 4-5 will be the transition to spinning reels.... push buttons suck for sure

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Yeah my oldest got a spinning setup at 5. It took a minute for him to get over not having his yellow transformers push button. I ended up getting him a 4'6 with the smallest pfluger trion. It's the equivalent of a shimano 1000.

Maybe one of those dock demons.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
I had Liam on a 6' medium baitcaster with a pushbutton when he was 3.....LIke Boon says, expect the rod to be well used in a trip or two since they are but children. You fish with those short combos and see how quick you abondon them.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't mind if it gets "used" I just want the damn thing to work for her. she's not ready to flip a bale on a spin rig but I also don't want some crap with plastic screws that gets ruined after the very first cast.

I've actually used a dock demon for one whole trip when a bunch of stuff got lost and it was there. that might be the way to go. it mostly worked as expected.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Push buttons don't suck if you put the right line on them. In fact, the zebco 200 set up is great to learn on. It's a very light rod and real and small enough for kids to use. My son started at 4 or 5 and did fine.

The spidey one is great for learning, but ultimately, if you want them to catch fish, you will have to cast for them for quite a while.

I'm surprised Boon has such hate for push button rods. They are really easy to learn on and cast a long ways with the right line. I suggest 4lb trilene XL.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The spidey one is great for learning, but ultimately, if you want them to catch fish, you will have to cast for them for quite a while.
it's kinda amazing how the spiderman one gets pretty good reviews but all of the other "toy" ones seem to be crap. so far she tries to put the spidey reel and the bright green tackle box into the cart every time at cabelas. usually sneaks in a pink tackle box too. I'll just buy the damn thing next time. I swear if she catches a 4" perch or anything else on her own I'm mounting it :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
looked at the zebco 33 at basspro. looks like a great starter kit. kiddo found a Dora the Explorer one that she had to have, got it because I'm a sucker and she's my favorite. went out to try today and I'm glad we got the $14.99 option. she rapidly decided that it was the most fun to throw the whole thing in and watch daddy get it back out. in her defense, I think we need a little more dexterity before it's actually workable. she was happy to have it and poked it into all of the puddles. asked what she was doing she said "I'm lookin for a baaaaby walleye."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts