Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best walleye fishery in your mind on the East Slope for a combination of numbers and size?

M

·
0 Posts
Lake Mac.

Oh wait, you mean Colorado. Tough one - Chatfield or Pueblo would be my opinion.

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
Not to be a smart arse...but catchable or not catchable...some of the shad lakes have huge numbers and size but during certain times of the year they can be really tough...

I think Pueblo, Creek and Chatty have some of the best numbers and size...but with all the feed it can be tough...Aurora doesnt have the shad boom so you can get occasional size and numbers but not with the potential of the other 3.  Someone else will have to talk about Carter, Sterling, Horsetooth, and Boyd.  Trinidad shouldnt be overlooked either.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I heard a fishing guide say several years ago, that the next world record will come from Chatfield. Strong words, but there are some hogs in there, judjing from some that the DOW nets.

S

·
0 Posts
No question about it hands down Cherry Creek! I guarantee you we have a "World Record" at the Creek! Now, these walleye have a ton to eat at the creek, but they can and are caught by myself and a few others. I have done better from shore than a boat and have mastered the techniques for landing these tasty critters!

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
i have to vote for pueblo i have had many days of over 100 eyes and many nights of over 200, we dont maybe get as many over 18" but when you can put 77 keepers in your freezer last year thats pretty dang good

S

·
0 Posts
That's good seeker and I am catchin "eyes" over 18 inches up to nine pounds! From shore!

M

·
0 Posts
My rationale for saying Lake Mac is becuase I like to spread out a little bit and not have to deal with worrying about other folks. Check the other threads about "idiots" at Chatfield. Same goes with Cherry Creek. They're too close to the city and since they get that kind of pressure, it takes from MY experience when I'm there and would rather go elsewhere. Nothing to do with the size or quantity of fish.

I've by far caught more walleye out of Chatfield than anywhere else, but I don't like fighting the crowds there. I can have the boat loaded and be in the water within 30 minutes.

Pueblo is 3 hours away and tends to get very crowded as well from many of the folks in the Springs. Since the distance is the same, I would rather drive to Lake Mac - where I've caught my biggest. BTW - there are pictures floating around of a 28" Wally that was caught out of Chatfield on August 1st - and released (Great job Jeremy).

As far as warm water fisheries - my favorite is North Sterling (not necessarily for walleye). That is the first lake I think of when someone asks "warm water fishery". No need to twist my words around.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I like slabbing spoons in the fall at Chatfield, once all the pleasure boaters and jet skies are done for the season. I know Pueblo has alot of Eye's in it, but it has always been kind of a mystery to me ???

I think the most underrated walleye fishery in Colorado is Bonny. I have had some great days there!

I caught a bunch of eye's at Aurora this spring. It keeps getting better and better.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Neal/CO said:
I think the most underrated walleye fishery in Colorado is Bonny. I have had some great days there!

I
Bonny has some nice eyes in it. The lake is really low and not as good as it once was though. The last few years we have caught some nice numbers in early June. My buddy keeps sending me pic.'s of the ones they are catching now and will continue to catch this fall. Nice eyes. Sure hope the lake comes back. You fish there much Neal, fish the tournament in June?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
World record walleye: 25 lbs.,Old Hickory Lake, TN., caught by Mabry Harper,August 2, 1960.........This record needs to be broken.

Hmmm.. Chatfield, or Cherry Creek? Or? ??? ???

My biggest at Chatfied is 22 inches. I have,tho, caught hundreds of walleyes there that were 17.897586 inches.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I have to give the nod to Aurora. Deep, cold less pressure than other lakes in the mtro area. Factor in the fact that the east side the pressure from boats is even less due to the no gas motor rule. That lake has tons of bottom structure a good forage base. Keep an eye on Aurora.

Chatfield is improving and if the shad hatches continue for a couple of years I can see lots of improvement in the quality of fish coming out of there. From last year to this the quality improvement was phenomenal! (last year I caught dozens of fish and only 3 of keeper size, this year fewer fish but better than 50% were keepers)

I also look for Chatfield to show better growth in bass, trout, perch and catfish. Chatfield is a lake that is well worth watching for the next few years.

Dan

K

·
0 Posts
I dont fish up in the north country (Denver and north) but IMHO Trinidad, fish lovers point, you will slay em!!!

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
EyeHunter27 said:
Neal/CO said:

I
Bonny has some nice eyes in it.  The lake is really low and not as good as it once was though.  The last few years we have caught some nice numbers in early June.  My buddy keeps sending me pic.'s of the ones they are catching now and will continue to catch this fall.  Nice eyes.  Sure hope the lake comes back.  You fish there much Neal, fish the tournament in June?

Last time I was there, was last spring. Sam Mayhew and I took third in the KNights of Columbus tournament in 99. Is that the June tournament you mentioned?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts