Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alrighty, after much deliberation I think I'm going to get the ascend h12 for the wife and kid to enjoy. its got good reviews and easily accommodates a toddler. (sorry pikester).
here's the question, I've got a 5' truck bed and I don't want to lose the ability to haul stuff. usually we pack into 2-3 rubbermaids and a big cooler. all of that would fit beside a kayak just fine. What's the best method for hauling a 12 footer safely AND easily? I think it's 77lbs unloaded so not too bad. ideally I'd like a one person solution and anything that involves lifting over my head won't likely be a one person job.

·
Registered
24,499 Posts
a topper then u can lock ish up still can haul stuff and have a flat platform on top for kayaks/lumber and ratcheting tie downs...

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a topper then u can lock ish up still can haul stuff and have a flat platform on top for kayaks/lumber and ratcheting tie downs...
I don't think I can get a kayak up there solo. Been looking at toppers in general, haven't decided. Would be nice to have a covered sleeping option right there too.

·
P I K E
10,070 Posts

·
Registered
24,499 Posts
Do they weigh more than a 15 or 16 foot aluminum canoe?...we used to portage those things into insula lake as teenagers which was a killer portage of a 105 rods...a rod i think is 5.5 yards...plus get canoes up on the vehicle...I would of thought those things would of gotten lighter...with space age materials...

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the one I'm looking at is 78lbs and that's before I bolt any crap to it. I can get it in the truck easily, I can't hoist 78lbs at 12' long over my head and the wife most definitely can't.

you sleep in a 5'bed with the topper by putting the tailgate down. easy peasy....or by being 4'10 tall.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I like my jetski trailer. Light and easy to maneuver around (even by hand). Frees up my pick-up bed to carry other things. Picked mine up on Craigslist for a few hundred dollars.

·
P I K E
10,070 Posts
Hey Ninja, how long is the jetski trailer you found? How far out the back of the trailer does your yak hang if any?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Hey Ninja, how long is the jetski trailer you found? How far out the back of the trailer does your yak hang if any?
Standard single jet ski trailer (Shorelander Tadpole). Close to 11' long. About 3' of the yak hangs over the back once I found the balance point by moving the winch stand all the way forward and widened the bunks. I just tie a red rag on the back and haven't had any issues with "johnny law". I have also removed the fender wells and added the biggest tire the hub can handle to minimize side to side wobble when driving down the highway at 75 mph. Easy peasy to launch and recover for sure and I don't have to take anything out except my trolling motor to transport/store it.

I'll try and snap a picture this weekend and post it here Tony.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts