Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BeadHeadRed's comment in my Cake Boss thread got me thinking (he expressed his aversion to 'reality TV') ...

In your opinion, what are the best (or worst) reality TV shows ever to hit the airwaves? How 'bout listing a few faves (or dogs)?

When I tried to think of ones I have liked I came up with:

- Deadliest Catch
- Intervention
- a show (can't remember name of channel) where it's a BBQ elimination competition
- a show (ditto above) where it's a gun shooting elimination competition
- I think I saw one where a crew was attempting to climb Everest (several episodes)
- Jamie Oliver (Food Network) took a group of underprivileged kids in England and trained them to be accomplished cooks, thereby able to better their life situation. Forget what it was called, but I found it touching.


The list of those shows regarding which I would rather deep-clean the bathroom than watch is so numerous I won't bother (actually it's a short list b/c I don't even know what they're called).


But what about you's guys? ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,877 Posts
I've only seen Deadliest Catch, Swords, and Swamp People that I actually sat down and watched.

I like Deadliest Catch, and Swamp people is slightly amusing.

I can't stand Swords because of what I know is happening to the swordfish stocks from overharvest.
 

·
P I K E
Joined
·
10,084 Posts
Best...
1. Billy the Exterminator
2. American Pickers
3. Destination Truth
4. Paranormal State
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,554 Posts
Best:
1. Ultimate fighter
2. Survivorman
3. Man vs Wild
4. Deadliest catch
5. Ghosthunters
6. Meteorite men
7. I have to mention Survivor too. The first real reality TV show.

Worst.
There are SOOOOOOO many to choose from these days. Just about anything on TLC and MTV. Ill just make a list real quick.
1. 18 kids and counting
2. John and Kate + 8
3. Any midget reality TV show (what's there like 10 now?)
4. Jersey Shore
5. Is "The Hills" a reality TV show? Haven't really watched it but have glanced a couple times.
6. Any of the truckers ones...like the ice truckers and that new one with the cliffs.
7. Pawn stars
8. Any of the love ones. Bachelor...flavor of love...the one with that rock singer. Come on, if you watch or participate in that garbage, you have absolutely no life.
There are a lot more but i'll just stop there. Just horrifying how much garbage there is out there that some people will watch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rivrunnr1 said:
Best:
2. Survivorman
3. Man vs Wild
Word. Forgot about those.

Also, if it fits the category, I like Forensic Files, and the true crime/detective shows like that (not fictional CSI-types).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,251 Posts
i believe one of the first real reality shows was The Real World on MTV. i'm sure the definition of a reality show can be stretched though.

American Pickers is pretty interesting - i know a lot of people that have stuff/places like they visit.

i like Survivor despite it's manifestations - it's basically group dynamics and that is a real interest of mine. stir the pot, watch 'em react.

I really dislike Big Brother - another group dynamics thing but it's too stimulated to be interesting.

and not a fan nor watcher of any of the shows that use plastic surgery as part of the contest - frigging sick!

Reno 911 is pretty good :D

they need a bass fishing circuit reality show - that would be pure theater!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,320 Posts
Jörmungandr said:
It makes me pray to god hoping that island in the azores (that has a big crack in it), will finally slide off in the ocean.... creating a tsunami big enough to wash that godforsaken schiesshole of a state into oblivion.
I take offense to that :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,983 Posts
Jörmungandr said:
Mexican Barney Frank said:
Jörmungandr said:
It makes me pray to god hoping that island in the azores (that has a big crack in it), will finally slide off in the ocean.... creating a tsunami big enough to wash that godforsaken schiesshole of a state into oblivion.
I take offense to that :D
The only good fishing that's in jersey is round valley reservoir, and even then i'm sure it's filled with people going "EH YO VINNY, CHECK OUT DAT MUTHAF***KA OVA HEAH, YAH? FUHGETDABOUTIT!" while veritcally jigging structure for lake trout.
Dave, you are an idiot.

I'm glad you told me there is no good fishing in Jersey. I was going to go visit my buddy Asher and go striper fishing. Now I don't have to waste my time. I am curious as to how he gets all those pictures of 30-40" inch linesides he sends me all the time. Hmmm? :D



I have to agree with you about the Jersey Shore thing, though. I've never watched it, but I can tell they are Candidates For Natural Selection!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,320 Posts
human cannonball said:
Jörmungandr said:
Mexican Barney Frank said:
Jörmungandr said:
It makes me pray to god hoping that island in the azores (that has a big crack in it), will finally slide off in the ocean.... creating a tsunami big enough to wash that godforsaken schiesshole of a state into oblivion.
I take offense to that :D
The only good fishing that's in jersey is round valley reservoir, and even then i'm sure it's filled with people going "EH YO VINNY, CHECK OUT DAT MUTHAF***KA OVA HEAH, YAH? FUHGETDABOUTIT!" while veritcally jigging structure for lake trout.
Dave, you are an idiot.

I'm glad you told me there is no good fishing in Jersey. I was going to go visit my buddy Asher and go striper fishing. Now I don't have to waste my time. I am curious as to how he gets all those pictures of 30-40" inch linesides he sends me all the time. Hmmm? :D



I have to agree with you about the Jersey Shore thing, though. I've never watched it, but I can tell they are Candidates For Natural Selection!
ahh stripers... what gave me the itch to fish
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,704 Posts
Best - Ninja Warriors (and Fishful Thinker, Lip Em and Rip Em, Fish Warrior, and River Monsters if they count as reality shows)

Worst - any that my wife watches... Top Model, Biggest Loser, Top Chef, So You Think You can Dance, So You Think You Can Duet, True Beauty, Americas Got Talent, and Project Runway :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,877 Posts
James said:
Best - Ninja Warriors (and Fishful Thinker, Lip Em and Rip Em, Fish Warrior, and River Monsters if they count as reality shows)
River Monsters?! You've got to be kidding! That is the most contrived waste of time on TV. Granted, the big fish are fun to see, but his constant fear mongering that these fish are "true maneaters" is just plain nonsense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,272 Posts
Rivrunnr1 said:
8. Any of the love ones. Bachelor...flavor of love...the one with that rock singer. Come on, if you watch or participate in that garbage, you have absolutely no life.
No Kyle.....it means you are probably happily married and trying to maintain that "happily" part by taking an interest in what she likes. ;)
















Doesn't make it any easier to grin and bear it through another season of "The Bachelor" but you can't argue about the amount of fishing it gets me out of the house for! ;D

Oh......IRT World's Deadliest Roads is good stuff!!!
 

·
The Mayor
Joined
·
2,101 Posts
Reality TV has simply become TV, almost every show now is reality based. The success of survivors spawned an whole new approach to prime time TV, and every one of these shows sucks. Think about what you watched in the 70's & 80's, it was all cop shows at night (and we only had 3 or 4 channels, so the netwoks ruled).

We got sick of wathcing all those cop shows, so we had to watch the bi epic drama of Dallas, Dynasty & Knotts Landing, Miami Vice. These shows ruled the airwaves....

next up, the West Coast drama, 90210, Boobwatch (i mean baywatch), and others. For a while these shows had center stage...

I quit watching network TV about the time 90210 was popular, cause it sucked......

Fast forward to today, and we have crap on TV, period. Cult shows like Monk, Law & Order (I like Lw & Order), CSI Wherever, House, they are pretty good.....

I'll read a book

BHR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
701 Posts
Dancing With The Stars is the gayest show ever! Wild Boys is pretty dang funny as well as Jackass.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top