Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Re: Big Bass

Your subject line is quite the understatement. Do you just let the senko
sit there for long periods of time, or do you jig or retrieve it?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·

NinerRick said:
Your subject line is quite the understatement. Do you just let the senko
sit there for long periods of time, or do you jig or retrieve it?

When I talk about fishing the lure or worm slow, a lot of people don't realize just how slooooooow I am talking about. When fishing this time of year with a Senko style worm, always fish it weightless (unless you have to punch down through heavy cover). The technique I use most often in cooler weather is called "deadsticking". You simply cast the worm out and let it sink. Don't twitch it, pull it or put any action behind it at all! I let it set on the bottom for about 3 or 4 minutes and then reel it in and start over again. I know this sounds boring, but it is extremely effective in the fall. The fish have two options, either hit it on the fall or suck it up on the bottom. All three of the fish I caught sucked it off the bottom!!! Remember, this time of year bass experience a change in their metabolism and everything starts to slow down, so your presentation must as well.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts

BM65,

Wow, what a catch! Thanks for posting the picture and letting us know how he was caught. It is definitely one of the biggest largemouth's I've seen.

You did not say if he was released or not. Will you be mounting that fish or will you get a replica made?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Jeez..........that thing is bigger than my dog....hmmmmmmm wonder if a Brittany Spaniel would make a good bucket-mouth bait........Harriet.....Harriet come here!!!!!

Pondfisher

·
Registered
239 Posts
Thanks for the information BM65, I appreciate it
I haven't been able to get the local bass to bite lately.
Just too impatient, I guess.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Damn... That thing is stupid big!!

I'm curious BM65... you mentioned junebug color. Does color play a significant part when fall fishing with plastics? Also, is the 5" size critical or can you go up or down from there?

Always cool to hear from a professional!

Thanks!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Pondfisher said:
Jeez..........that thing is bigger than my dog....hmmmmmmm wonder if a Brittany Spaniel would make a good bucket-mouth bait........Harriet.....Harriet come here!!!!!

Pondfisher
That's funny! My mother in law had a Yorkshire Terrier that my wife and I always called "Bassbait"!! 8)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
hunterfishercamper said:
Is that a glare on the eyes or is the fish getting old? But anyway, that is a huge bass. I am jealous.

The fish was looking pretty old! I looked at the left eye and it was milky and strange looking. I did a bit a reasearch and discovered that it was most probably a cataract.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
dante said:
Damn... That thing is stupid big!!

I'm curious BM65... you mentioned junebug color. Does color play a significant part when fall fishing with plastics? Also, is the 5" size critical or can you go up or down from there?

Always cool to hear from a professional!

Thanks!

I think the 5' or 6" are great sizes because they are both very visable to the fish from a sillouette standpoint. If the lake is turning over and or the clarity is not very good, the 3" is not as easy to spot. I have always been a fan of purple worms! When I started using junebug, you get the purple worm with the added bonus of green glitter flakes. Those green flakes really put on a "flashy" show when the light hits them. I have caught smallies off the dam at Chatfield recently using the 3", but the fish were not very big. The 5" has been responsible for 31 bass over 5lbs for me this year. I am a believer in the "big bait, big fish theory" in most cases.

G

·
Wayne, the way you catch them hawgs your going going to be the next state record hold for Large Mouth Bass. You give all of us bass fishers hope for catching a 10 pounder in Colorado.

Bass On
Scott

G

·
haahha...I've actually caught a few carp and catfish deadstickin'. For most bassfisherman including myself its a very hard method to get used to using. Its almost like bait fishing with a plastic. I usually put my bass gear up for the season around this time but after looking at that picture a couple of times I'm gonna make a few more trips to my Throphy bass ponds. Talk about proof last issue of Colorado Fisherman magazine Wayne covers senko's and then catch's a 9 pounder in colorado water. If you haven't fished with senko's yet its covered in last months Colorado Fisherman pick it up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What a nice bass and it is nice to see a lots jealous replies. After all that, can this unknown be a known? Is this place for fisherman sharing the info? One can not just catch a bass at his/her backyard in the plastic pool.

No offense, just little curious.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
lillupsd said:
What a nice bass and it is nice to see a lots jealous replies. After all that, can this unknown be a known? Is this place for fisherman sharing the info? One can not just catch a bass at his/her backyard in the plastic pool.

No offense, just little curious.
I have only been there once! I do not know much about it, but I am learning about it. I do not wish to post the location on a public forum at this time. When you stop and think about the fact I caught 3 bass with the smallest being 4 1/2 lbs, you have to realize that this might not have occured if everyone went to this body of water and harvested their catch. I am not going to get into an essay or debate regarding catch-and-release, but I do feel strongly about putting bass back in the water so that others may enjoy catching them as well! With that being said, I do feel that certain areas depending on the conditions must be harvested about 15% to 18% per year in order to maintain a healthy enviroment with no signs of any growth-stunt. In a case like the forementioned, I would be sure and watch what size fish you are removing...1 1/2 to 2lb bass, not a problem, 5lb to 10lb bass...HUGE PROBLEM!!! It really makes me feel good when I catch a 5 to 6lb bass and it has marks on its mouth indicating that it's been caught 2 or 3 times. THAT IS AWESOME!!! If you would like to send me a personal e-mail, I would be happy to dicuss this futher....Thanks for understanding...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Bass4Life said:
Wayne, the way you catch them hawgs your going going to be the next state record hold for Large Mouth Bass. You give all of us bass fishers hope for catching a 10 pounder in Colorado.

Bass On
Scott
Scott,

Thanks for the kind words. I truly appreciate that! I hope you are right about that State Record!!! I go out every single day and try to catch that record pig....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for your reply bassmasters65 and I understand now. 

Just too lazy, got no words to say, but learnt that there are so many rationales that did not even come out of my mind.  Ha, lots of assumptions, just another case of WMD.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts