Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went over to a pond in littleton. I caught ten small crappie. Halfway throught the evening I got a bite that felt like one mighty crappie. When I got the fish up to the shore it was a giant bass. We got the fish on shore and weighed and measured it. It was 17 inches long and weighed right at 2 lbs. It is back in the pond for another fisherman to catch.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a picture of the bass I just can't figure out how to post it. Can somebody help me with this?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Funny you should mention catching bass when crappie fishing....because some of the biggest bass ive caught in my lifetime have been when i was fishing for crappies--and all have been on crappie rigs with tiny jigs or small roostertails. I guess they must be hanging around the schools of crappies when they are spawning...either in hopes of a meal or competing for spawing areas. A few years ago a buddy of mine caught a bass that was about 7 lbs on an ultra light rigged with a white rooster tail while fishing for crappies...what a surprise...

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
for me, "around here" is Boulder County....i used to fish Teller ponds a lot, but they seemed to have tapered off as far as quality. over time lots of fish + lenient regulations and large creel limits = poor fishery. they basically got fished out. I might try it tomorrow morning though, i havnt fished those ponds in about 2 years...so maybe they have improved. those ponds had some really big crappie in them a few years ago, but im afraid those times are past.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've been trying to find some local (Boulder county) fishing too. Where are the Teller ponds?
I actualy found a great pond on 63rd street just east of Boulder but it's along Boulder creek and they have closed the trail because of the New Zealand snails in the creek.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Nice spot took the wife and kids there and the boy caught a lunker of a bass to. The down side is the sign there says catch and release only so we put him back  :( would of made a nice fillet. Thanks  ctnugfan  I only live like 2 mins from there good find  ;D

·
OG LOKE
18,957 Posts
heck ya catch and release...let them bass go! Especially when spawn is happening. :) nice pic

1 - 12 of 12 Posts