Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been struggling to get my Big Buddy to work on the high setting. I've tourn it apart and cleaned all the lines, plus the pilot light. Using a bottle or 10lb tank with hose to a quick connect or standard thread connect (both sides), I get the same results. Every time I turn the dial to high (after warm up) the pilot goes low and gas sputters, then goes out all together. I should mention I live at 7,500 ft. I had the same problems with my first unit, replaced it, worked fine and now back to where I started.

·
Registered
183 Posts
They don't operate well at altitude. I've always had issues with mine up higher. I read somewhere about a hack to improve that but not sure if it rendered the unit unsafe.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
They don't operate well at altitude. I've always had issues with mine up higher. I read somewhere about a hack to improve that but not sure if it rendered the unit unsafe.
I'd like to find out how. Sometimes they work and some times they don't. I have a 9 volt carbon monoxide detector that I bring up when I'm using one in a tent, don't want to wake up dead!

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
The hack removes the mechanism that shuts it down when carbon monoxide might be produced. Link was posted here previously but removed quickly by Moderator at the time. Seems reasonable.

Problem is that it at altitude this "protection" makes these units unreliable for producing heat. If you use a different heater that doesn't have this feature it will stay lit but you have to be take responsibility for using it with appropriate ventilation. A portable CO detector is about $20.

·
P I K E
10,072 Posts
The OP of the said hack for these heaters deleted the post himself when he realized he did not want to be responsible for people getting gassed and possibly die because of his post, very smart IMO! If you go to YouTube and do the search you can find the hacks to fix this problem, if done do get a CO detector like Al said. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts