Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...but I had to work for it!!!

Got to the pond a little after 7:00 PM tonight. Tried everything: night crawlers, purple maribou jigs, curly tails... nothing at all.

Moved around the pond for a while, and ended up at JUST the perfect spot.

The lake was up about 3 feet from last week and they were DUMPING water into the inlet pipe. This seemed just about perfect. I knew what the structure looked like at that spot because it was above water just last week. I knew there were two big boulders like sentinels out 5-7 feet from the inlet pipe and then a steep dropoff. F***ing tailor-made.

I swapped to a yellow and white crappie jig, tipped with a meal worm and started mauling the crappie. Probably caught 15-16 in the 45 minutes that followed. Many were small, but this big ***** hit the jig as the sun went fully down.

RIGHT at exactly 15"

Kept some smaller crappie, now fileted and ready for the batter:

Smallest was 7"... swallowed the whole f***ing jig. The others there are between 9-11".

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Great job Owen!!!

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You know, as it got really dark and we were packing up last night, Buck accidentally kicked over a big box of J hooks and they went everywhere. Probably 30 long-shanked hooks. We couldn't see ****, so I told him we would have to go back today to pick em all up and remove all trace.

After we dropped off the wife, we went down there this morning at 8:15 and I made him pick up every single hook. Brown hooks in brown dirt.

Needless to say, he will be more careful in the future. :)

BTW, I didn't realize it til just now, but the qualification for Master Angler on crappie is 14".

·
P I K E
10,112 Posts
Nice bud!!! Hey Buck, where's the hat hook I gave ya? ;D

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its on his fishing hat!! :)

The avatar pic was from a surprise fishing trip, he didn't have his hat with him that day.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts