Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have caught a 22" and 19" Cuthroat trout this year within 5 miles of my house. I live in the west end of Highlands Ranch. Anyone else out there with a similar story??? I know of at least one other guy that caught a big cut in the same area. I am gonna get a two fish mount. Can't wait to see it. ;o) ;o)

·
Registered
279 Posts
I caught a 17 lb carp out of the South Platte river which is a 10 minute walk for me. Used my "Super Special Powerful Ultra Strong Corn Bait"! LOL

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I caught my fish in the Platt also. I don't think they were carp??? Actually, I e-mailed the DOW after I caught the first one and they said they stocked several 19"+ fish from the top of Waterton Canyon down to Chatfield. I caught one above Chatfield and one just a couple hundred yards upstream of C 470. I have been going hight to catch cuts for years. Could not believe I caught two big ones in town.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Who would have thunk it?! I can walk to Waterton Canyon from where I live. I see the vehicles parked there daily as folks fly fish the river in the Canyon and down towards the lake. I've often thought, "How well do they really do on the river, since it's in the city and the place gets pounded by cyclists and fly fishermen during the weekends."

I'm actually pretty amazed!  Alenberry, what type of fly did they take or were you spin fishing? How well does the canyon fish.... do you consistently catch fish there?

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I grew up really close to waterton and back in the late 80's the fishing was outstanding for browns, but as time went on and stringers of fish keep leaving the fishing really went downhill.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I agree with Blackjack. It was alot better up there the first few years after it opened. Even up in the Gold Metal section, the fishing isn't that hot. It's a place to go catch a few fish when you don't have the gas or the time to go farther. The canyon is beautiful and you will almost always see big horn and deer up there. Rattlers too. Hooking up with a big brood trout would be a fine surprise. Keep it up DOW!!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I've decided to learn a stretch of water close to home, and Waterton is it. I get excercise by biking, and the view is great. I've always suspected that it was stocked regularly, because I get steady action even though people regularly keep fish. I use San Juan worms and egg patterns with success. When it gets slow on the flyrod, I pull out the daughter's ultralight telescoping spinrod and use spinners--they really hit those spinners hard. A couple times this week, I caught 7 and 9 trout respectively, all in the 12 inch range. All in all, a great little secret.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
fatfish said:
I caught a 17 lb carp out of the South Platte river which is a 10 minute walk for me. Used my "Super Special Powerful Ultra Strong Corn Bait"! LOL
is that the catman29 special formula?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts