Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only lived in CO since late 2014, and a bulk of my fishing consists of day trips near (< 2hrs) the Springs.

This year I'm really hoping to expand my scope and find some "big fish" rivers in CO; those with a decent population of 20+ inch fish.

Given my limited exposure in CO, researching "big fish" rivers is a google-foo activity; looking at surveys, reports, pics, blogs, fly shops, etc..

So far I've come across the following rivers which seem promising:
- Blue
- Fryingpan
- Taylor / Gunnison
- Animas

Anybody care to comment on the above rivers and/or add some of their big fish rivers?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Looks good, and its just those rivers that have big fish. No others. Okay?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
b. reelz,

I think your research has fallen short. Hint: you are not far away (less than 1hr) from several others.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Front range will be your best bet. ::)

Nothing to see here on the west slope, just move along. >:D

Sent pm.

Not that they are secrets, just no need to put it out on the web for all to see.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I would expand out of rivers into stillwatersif you want to head hunt. Buy a pontoon maybe a motor a motor or a good fishing kayak. A good stillwater will grow bigger fish than rivers.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Any reason the obvious one wouldnt be on your list? The Colorado? Because the Animas cant be within 2 hours of the springs can it?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was expecting crickets or smart ass remarks on this topic, so many thanks for all the useful info!!

@Ninja - thanks man. I'll so some more research and see if I can't solve your riddle :)

@CF LURKER - got your PM... Many thanks for that!

@bugz - Couldn't agree with you more. Especially after seeing some of the lake fish pics folks have posted here. Admittedly I'm more of a river guy, but I need to expand my horizon if I'm after big ones.

@zman + @pistoldog - Good point. I'll do some research on the Colorado... I'm actually looking for rivers outside a 2 hr radius of the springs because I fish the closer rivers frequently and I'd like to venture elsewhere this year.

Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Outside 2 hours

Yampa in town chance at big fish
Green lower sections big fish
Miracle Mile big fish
Reef big fish

Colorado and Eagle my favorites but for the most part average troutski's but a lot of them I'm more of a numbers guy

Now you just have to go catch them.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@parker tom -- thanks!! I'm going to have a few years worth of rivers to explore by the end of this thread -- that's good news for me.

"Now you just have to go catch them." <-- That's the fun part :)

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
The White River used to have some public stretches with big fish and off the beaten path and gorgeous...

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@zman + @pistoldog -- Thanks guys.. I've know nothing about the Eagle or White, but will have to put those on my "research list".

... and I'm not surprised about getting skunked at King Soopers; that place is always highly pressured (worse than deckers). At least in the Springs; it's a cluster-f 24x7.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Damn skunked at the supermarket? That's worse than a Z-curse!!
I thought:

"Only fairies believe in curses..... "

:boink:

:biggrin1:

·
Registered
16,632 Posts
When we moved here in 1971, we fished rivers exclusively. Found the Miracle Mile in 1973 and rarely fished a colorado river again-

Until we discovered lakes in 1986- then rarely fished a river again.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
When we moved here in 1971, we fished rivers exclusively. Found the Miracle Mile in 1973 and rarely fished a colorado river again-

People always talking about the good Ole Days, so my question is how is the mile compared to today to early seventies? (I know you said you don't fish it much any more, but I assume you fish it occassionally)

PS

What lakes are you talking about? ::)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Haha, that one made me chuckle... You guys definitely got me interested in lake fishing, but in reality (for me) it's a few years out until I get a couple ATVs for the family to access those more remote areas. I can barely withstand my 6 yr olds winning on a 2 mile hike, let alone anything > 5 mile.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts