Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Big Hammer Swimbaits?

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Biggie Smalls 
#1 ·
Anyone use the Big Hammer swimbaits for pike in Colorado? I went ahead and ordered some and just wanted to see if any of you have tried them. I don't really want your trade secrets, but I would like to hear about quality and if you have continued to use them. I figure the 3" may work on trout too. Any thoughts?

#7 ·
The Owner Ultrahead Biggie mentioned is a great head for those baits. http://www.hooksettersupply.com/v/vspfiles/photos/Owner-5148-2T.jpg

I like these Bladerunner heads for brush or for dragging:
http://www.basstackledepot.com/basstackle/blade-runner/Blade-Runner-Head-Pearl-White.jpg

I like the Big Hammer "Hammerheads" pretty well also. The nice thing about the Hammerheads is that they are contoured to fit the bodies. I like the big eye! I have caught mass quantities of pike on the six inch Hammers on the Hammer heads. A good thing about the Hammers is that due to the huge tail, hey have a lot of body wobble, making them very good in dirty water or lowlight conditions. If a more subtle action is desired, the tail can be trimmed down so it kicks less strongly.
http://www.coyotebait.com/images/products/detail/HammerHeadSilver.jpg

#8 ·
Thanks to all of you for the information! I'm glad you guys provided some positive feedback because I'm about $100 invested in these baits.

swimbait - you posted some great information in regards to these baits! I'm going to experiment with these baits until I gain confidence in them for pike. I ordered a wide variety of the 5" and 6.5" sizes. I also odered 3" and 4" in the rainbow trout pattern - figuring I may cath some trout on these smaller baits. I bought plenty of the "Hammerheads" as well. I was intrigued by the big eye on them as well. One other thing I bought is some Pro Cure trout scent. I have never used scent on any lure, but I'm curious to give this scent a try. Have you ever utilized scents with your baits?

#9 ·
I am not real big on scents, but I do "lubricate" swimbaits with a gel-type scent for more positive hooksets.

The idea is that the greased up lure slides in the fishes mouth a little better. Not that that would work worth beans on esox... but not a bad habit to get into. I like the Mega-Strike that comes in little tooth-paste tubes. I am also eager to try the Pro-Cure "Trout Butter" but have never got around to it. Lemme know how you like it!

Another thing I forgot to mention, get your Hammers rigged nice, and then slide back the body from the head a half inch and put a couple small drops of superglue on the head. Slide the body back up and hold it against the jighead firmly for fifteen seconds. This small detail will save you a lot of money in the long term. If I am on a strong bite with a particular color, I glue up three or four and leave them on the deck so I am not bobbing around with the glue, spitting and cussing.

SS

#10 ·
I will certainly let you know the results of the Pro-Cure "trout butter". Thanks for all the tips and information that you shared on this subject! I'll be working these baits this weekend up in South Park. I'll let you know.

#11 ·
True dat Swimbait. Make DAMN sure the bait is rigged straight before u glue it. I f it's off a little bit the bait will run to one side, especially when using a lighter head, or bigger body.

Never tried the glue, even though after a few missed hooksets my bait would tend to slide down. Great idea! Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.