Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start off and say i've been trying to hit the 10lb mark on a wiper for a while now. Caught a ton of 4-6 lb wipers but never anything close to 10.

Got to the lake a little before sundown.

When i pulled up i look on the shoreline and i see lynmack pulling in a fish. LOL i havent even turned off my car yet. So now im all excited and rushing to get my gear ready.
I set up shop right next to him casting a jig for about 5 mins with no bite. So i go to my bread and butter crawfish tail on the bottom. 1-3 mins later i set the hook and my drag just went zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
after a epic battle i see a big sliver/white spot coming closer. Im thinking please 10lb, to my dissappointment it was only a little over 9 lbs .BUMMER.

LOL this happened within the first 10 mins of the trip.

Through out the night we caught some wipers and white bass.
No catfish, didnt target them but im pretty sure they are biting on the other side of the lake. Didnt target any walleye, but did see a guy walk by that said his friend caught a 8lb walleye on a leech. LOL his friend had a long thick looking fish in a big shopping bag, didnt get to look inside.

Later on in the night my friend caught this one just a tad under 9 lb

Its getting late and im tired so i go take a nap. Sunrise i head out to the lake again, and within the first hour my drag goes zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
I know its big, i know its over 10lbs. Get him in and its 9 and a half . THAT SUCKS.
Within another 15-30 mins my drag goes zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Im not getting my hopes up this time. Get him in and its 9 even. So i guess it wasnt meant to be.

Another good trip to Big Mac. Enjoy, good fishing to all. Im gonna get a 10 sometime this week.

M

·
0 Posts
Sweet! Going with CaptHook, MissCaptHook, and the mini-CaptHooks next Sunday for the week. We have some grand plans and hopefully at least half of them work out. My best walleye is from there - I think my best wiper is from there as well but not a 10lb. Did you see this report on the Nebraska forum? I figured it was you (since it was a guy from Colorado and you frequently report here)...

http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=011536

Time to go again - I love to take the boat out there but given the water situation, looks like it'll be shore fishing after the first week of July. I'm up for it - keep trying!

Glad to see you're still posting after the last round of negative attacks. Hopefully that won't happen this time around again.

·
Registered
124 Posts
You land multiple large wiper and you are disapointed. I'm lucky if I get one wiper over 20" once every two years. Nice Job.

Time to sharpen my hooks for Kansas catfish. ;D Gunning for a big Blue.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Hey that was me on the NB Forum. Word travels fast.

Good Job HNL. You'll get that fish you wanted soon.

M

·
0 Posts
Fisher32 said:
Hey that was me on the NB Forum. Word travels fast.

Good Job HNL. You'll get that fish you wanted soon.
Well then both of you deserve congrats! ;D Great Job!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL hahahhaha your secret if out fisher. I wanted u to post here anyway. U deserve some props. GK of course im disappointed 10 lb is a little closer to fishers 16.5 LB MONSTER!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Thats a heck of a nice catch of fish you got there. I can't wait to get out there. One more week and counting down.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Haha, my thinking was the same as gk. But I dont fish for wiper but will have to meet you guys out someday so you can school me. 2 wipers over 9 lbs in one night is definately something to be proud of. Nice looking fish man.

·
OG LOKE
18,957 Posts
HNL NICE FISH BRO!!!!!....that 10 will come in time soon!!!
How hot did it get up there???

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sup K0diak hows the reel been treating u? I mainly fished at night, so the heat wasnt too bad. I did fish a few hours in the morning and it started to get uncomfortable from the heat.

fishingkats yea i use a slip sinker. Sometimes i just toss it out and leave it, sometimes i drag the sinker on the bottom slowly, kind of like working a lure.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
well thats what i use for kats but this past few years i have been putting on a float on the end of the line to get the bait off of the bottom
and i have been getting into more wipers
have you ever tryed this it kinda looks like this

O----------------J---------------J----------J--------------&-0----------------------

float hook hook hook swivel weight main line

as you can see i use 3 hooks and this way has been working for big cats too

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ive never tried it. I only use one hook. LOL i couldnt even imagine hooking 3 wipers at once. I bet u if u put a fresh crawdad tail on all 3 of your hooks your catch rate will go up. The only thing ive seen out fish crawdad is fresh shad. BTW nice pics from neenoshe. I cant see how u can fish in the middle of the day like that, the heat is killer.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
well im fishing but not catching in the middle of the day and if i do catch its with the float
at the end i think it picks up the more agressive fish looking for food

and yes i have had two wipers hit at one time oh what a rush
what a rush

·
Registered
31 Posts
HookNLine, what is the limit at Big Mac for wiper and white bass.....How can you tell the difference between them ??? ??? ???
Did you guy fished by the beach where the dam start or just anywhere on the dam? I might go this weekend, if i got my pop-up trailer ready 8) 8) 8) 8)

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The limit is 15 for wiper/whitebass combined but only one over 18inch. Yea i know im holding 2 but my buddy caught one also. Big Mac is not really a lake u want to go to if your planing to take home alot of fish, because all the wipers you catch are gonna be over 18 inches. If you catch whitebass than its ok they are around 15 inches.

If u open the fishes mouth and look on the tonge a wiper will have 2 little pactches and white bass will only have one patch. I fished all over the dam. I didnt stay in one spot. I like fast action so if it got slow i moved.

Ill be there this weekend just look for the guy on the dam with all the fish that will be me :p

·
Registered
31 Posts
HookNLine, thanks for answering my questions 8) 8) 8)
How far did you guys have to cast???????? Do i need to bring my ocean fishing pool ;D ;D ;D Did you use rapala or mussels for the big wiper ??? ??? I just show your pictures to my wife and she was all exciting to head up there :D :D :D Can't wait to be there........ The last time, me, my wife and the kids went, the wind blow our tent and broke it ........... right before i was gonna go fishing at night :( :( :( :(
So then we went home.............. i guess it was a bad camping and fishing trip that we have!!!!!!!!!!!! but this time, i'm ready.......i have pop-up trailer for the kids and wife O0 O0 O0
HookNLine, how do you fish at night with all traffic boat on the dam if you bait fishing??????????

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOL dont cast out far, you will outcast the fish im serious. They are really close chasing baitfish for dinner. If u dont use a latern, once in a while flash your headlamp or flash right in the water close to shore u will see a monster wiper cruising. LOL leave your ocean fishing pole at home i hate those ugly things. I dont use mussels at all im faithful to crawdad tails.
Yea ive drove out there before and drove staight home because of the wind a couple times.
The boat traffic is not this bad like it was last month when everybody was fishing for eyes.
Its not a problem at all.
You gotta love big mac the action is unreal. Here's another reason to love big mac http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=011680#000012

1 - 20 of 38 Posts