Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Big Mac last nite and thanks to HooknLine, we had a ball.  Not very often two 37 year old men giggle like little girls, but when the drag started screamin that is exactly what happened.

It was our first time, be we think we have a small grasp on the concept.  Right off the bat, 1st cast - 1 small bass,  A little later,  I couldn't believe the noise my reels were making.  They have never done that.  Those Wiper were the hardest fighting fresh water fish I have ever caught.  I've caught 30 lbs. lakers that didn't fight like that.  It was AMAZING.  One of them had to be 10 lbs of better.  We also caught about a 10 lbs. cat.  Great fun!!!  Beautiful night and we owe it all to HooknLine.  Thanks you so much!!!!  AWESOME!!!!!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Good job man i would of been disappointed if you came home with the skunk. It was your first time, after a couple more you'll have a better feel and it we become really simple to you.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hook,

You are awesome.  Thanks again for the tips! Hey, do you use slack line with the slip sinker?

·
Registered
214 Posts
BIG MAC=BIG FUN, To me BIG MAC=FULL STOMACH! HAHA LOL!!

I'm just kiddin around guys, i'm jealous....so how many fish did you guys catch that night?
I know some guys that headed out there today, we'll see how they do.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not as many as Hook catches, but we are still in our learning curve. We caught about 6 and lost a solid 15 we lost to broken lines due to ill-adjusted drag and distracted moments.

We had a throw net which worked pretty well for baitfish and that kept us from a number of good bites.

All in all one of the best fishing experiences I have ever had, and I have had a few. I didn't think this kind of action existed in these parts. FUN FUN FUN

·
Registered
24,590 Posts
Awesome job wheelman...I concur on the hardest fighting freshwater fish...although I havent caught a muskie...

·
Registered
324 Posts
hey nice fish. i am head up next week and i cant wait it sounds like the kind of fishing that you go out everytime hoping for were you useing fresh crawdad tails on the north side next to the dam and how does this sinker set-up work? thanks alot every1 i will have plenty of pics even a video maybe if some1 knows if we can post them.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Wheelman,

Nice work. We're heading up in a few hours for another overnighter.
I'm going to fish the same area you were in.

I share your sentiments, IMO ounce for ounce nothing beats the fighting wiper (freshwater fish that is). I was fishing with 17 lb test fireline last week and started experienceing line breaks at about two a.m. before having to peel of 15 ft of frayed line and cutting it; wipers are brutal on terminal tackel. Yes the key is to set your drag as light as possible. We had one or two people chase their rods into the lake, because they forgot to adjust the drag.

Were you able to drive right up to the water in the area you were fishing, and how possible is it to get bogged down in the sand near the dam?

Maybe someone will get lucky tonight and hook into anything over 10lbs.

Thanks for the report and the awsome pics.

Pete

1 - 9 of 9 Posts