Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
water temp was 71-73 along the south shore where we fished. we concentrated just west of vans along with the other boats. look for the dead trees and move out to 40-50 feet of water from there. yes the vans boat ramp is open. we trolled spinnerbaits, 200 -210 feet back . 1oz spinnerbaits with gold blades. other folks did bottom bouncers and lindy rigs. fish were either just above submerged brush at the 30 feet mark or suspended at the 40 feet mark in 60 feet of water. Not many folks were casting/jigging. not much action along the north from the lodge to castle.

martin bay boat ramp is not the greatest right now due to the high water. its a shallow launch. water is up to the blue "footprints" wall but we didnt jump from it. spinal cord paralysis is a bummer

the ramp south of kingleys lodge (divers?) is under water

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Yes sir. 2 Thurs 3 Fri 2 Sat. Sat there was a tournament and about 30 boats where we were. We ate well.

That one was 6.5 pound. Didnt get length

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Way to grind out a few fish each day. They can get tough this time of year. How deep would you say a 1oz spinnerbait gets with 200 ft of line out? About how fast were you trolling? I'm only curious. Don't troll spinnerbaits that often, but know it is popular out at McConaughy.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 oz spinnerbait on about 6 feet of fluoro onto 200 feet of lead at 1.5mph you will hit stuff at 30feet down.

1/2 oz spinnerbait you need about 220 feet of lead at same speed for 30 feet down.

Well that is what works for me. I am adjusting the speed so that i specifically am getting snagged because you want to hit the submerged stuff. Yes you will lose tackle every once in a while but not as much you think. Most of the time the spinnerbait will pull thru. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
1 oz spinnerbait on about 6 feet of fluoro onto 200 feet of lead at 1.5mph you will hit stuff at 30feet down.

1/2 oz spinnerbait you need about 220 feet of lead at same speed for 30 feet down.

Well that is what works for me. I am adjusting the speed so that i specifically am getting snagged because you want to hit the submerged stuff. Yes you will lose tackle every once in a while but not as much you think. Most of the time the spinnerbait will pull thru. Hope that helps.
So how do you know that your bait is reaching 30ft 200ft off the boat? Trolling is new to me, especially baits that don't have a depth set to them

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i can tell because of what i see on my fishfinder. At certain spots at big mac there will be a decent row of submerged trees or brush that you can see clearly. I will be in 45 -50 feet of water and you will the top of this brush right at the 30 feet mark.

when i see my rod pull then snap back pull then snap back i know i'm hitting that mark.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
So how do you know that your bait is reaching 30ft 200ft off the boat? Trolling is new to me, especially baits that don't have a depth set to them
Yeah, the only way you really know is when you are hitting the structure you are fishing over, and knowing how deep the structure is from the fish finder.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts

Thanks bzboy, that makes good sense. It probably doesn't work in those depths without using leadcore and with spinnerbaits tracking higher in the water column with out it. You can cover some ground doing that too. Letting out six to seven colors of lead? Thanks for sharing so much info. That is cool of you!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts