1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nebraska Fishing License---$20.00
Gas---$60.00
Bait---$10.00
Driving 400 miles round trip to get skunked and stuck in an Afghanistan-style sandstorm....fricken priceless.

Fished Lake McConoughy on the night of 30 July 05...we got there around 7pm and set up on the end of the Dam near Martin Bay...hoping to catch a cat or two. shortly after saying "wow, its nice out tonight" (i should have known better...) a rogue storm blew in from Nova Scotia and forced us back onto higher ground until the wind, waves and lightning subsided...which was about 1 am. went back out hoping to salvage at least part of an evening of fishing, but caught nothing...only one small hit, which failed to produce anything. fell alseep in my truck, and im still picking sand out of my ears. oh well, maybe next time...

·
Registered
107 Posts
That sucks Rottal. Living in Nebraska has its merits, but finding sand in places you don't want to post here are not one of the finer points. At least you got a good nap in the truck. How is that stiff neck by the way? I slept in the back of my truck for 4 hours wednesday night and payed the price for 3 days, but atleast I got lucky and caught something in the morning. I duck hunt there religously in the fall and have seen some nasty weather there in my past. Use to drive from Denver and back twice a week for 8 weeks strait just to have the best duck hunting in the world, but after your third shower and you still get sand on the bottom of the tub, we wonder why it is we are such die hard outdoorsman.
Craig

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Big Mac wind is no joke im feel for you man. LOL i went to sushi den last night with my ole lady and i told her "damn first saturday night not fishing big mac for 2 months it's suppose to be really nice weather tonight too" my exact words. The only reason why i didnt go was because my boy had overtime.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hook n Line, you the man. I found out from my little sister tonight that I get to eat supper there Wednesday night while I come to D town this week. Needless to say I am pumped. 20 pieces of raw fish on rice, 50 bucks, 2 for 1 hot sake bottles till 6 pm, 8 bucks per 2 fer, little bowl of cucumber slices with octopus and a hot towel free, no hang over drunk with killer grub PRICELESS!
Craig

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sbebdllh said:
That sucks Rottal. Living in Nebraska has its merits, but finding sand in places you don't want to post here are not one of the finer points. At least you got a good nap in the truck. How is that stiff neck by the way? I slept in the back of my truck for 4 hours wednesday night and payed the price for 3 days, but atleast I got lucky and caught something in the morning. I duck hunt there religously in the fall and have seen some nasty weather there in my past. Use to drive from Denver and back twice a week for 8 weeks strait just to have the best duck hunting in the world, but after your third shower and you still get sand on the bottom of the tub, we wonder why it is we are such die hard outdoorsman.
Craig
ahh, no sweat...my necks fine, but my back is screamin..a small price to pay, it was still nice to get out so im not complaining :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I always dug on the green tea ice cream.  Not too sweet and kind of goes really good as I try to finish that 4th bottle of hot sake, cause I just can't pass up a second chance at 2 fers.  Needless to say when I lived in Denver my house was at High St. and Wesley so I only had a # of blocks to crawl home if necessary.  I remember the worst weather I ever went through at Big Mac was on Haloween 3 years ago.  A nasty winter storm blows through there in the evening as I drank draw beer and ate Ribeye at Cheres just north of the Dam.  I drove back to the parking lot at Lake Ogalalla just below the dam and parked for the night waiting to duck hunt the next morning.  I was soooooo wasted that I fell asleep in the back of my Subaru Outback wagon with one of the passenger doors open and woke up 4 hours later to 4 + inches of snow on my arm and a killer hangover.  Worst part was the storm blew in thousands of new ducks that night and the next morning was one of the best days I ever had duck hunting.  Limit of greenheads and a 6 hour drive home in a blizzard for what should have been 3 hours and 15 minutes.  Got a love that drive!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was up there last last night too. That wind was miserable. I thing the walk back up to my car was the worst part, when I had to walk straight into the horizontal sand blast. I had to go for a swim in Lake Ogalalla by my campsite at 10:00 p.m. to get all the sand off.

I had thoughts of fishing Ogalalla, but opted for bed instead. The wind was a little less down underneath the dam. I woke up to a racket outside my trailer a couple hours later, to 5 racoons in my bucket full of crawdads. They made fast work of my crawdads, crunching them shells and all. Since I was coming home today anyways, I just let them have them all. It was pretty cool to watch at least.

I will have to try Big Mac another time. Hopefully without the wind. At least the family had a good camping trip so not all was lost.

T

·
0 Posts
Sorry to hear about the PRICELESS TRIP. I was thinking about heading out there, but I guess not. I wonder if the fishing would be good in september? Has anyone gone out there in september?

·
Registered
324 Posts
i was up their from thursday to sunday not 1 fish tried all over on shore annd a boat 90% of the time the wind blew the lake is at 31% all in all horrible trip will proble never go back

·
Registered
405 Posts
I love the MAC, but the weather can be brutal. I'n holding out for the fall fishing, purchasd my annual fishing license and park pass last time I buddied up with HooknLine.

Never fished the MAC during fall, is the weather just as brutal?

I guess you just get up and go and take your chances unless the weather reports predict inclement weather huh?

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Wow, Rottal... You're a good sport. Or maybe you just left the four letter words in Nebraska :p

At least you got out. Better luck next time eh? Maybe you can head over to Josh's pond for 15 inch cats to clean kill the skunk.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1eyeReD said:
Wow, Rottal... You're a good sport. Or maybe you just left the four letter words in Nebraska  :p

At least you got out. Better luck next time eh? Maybe you can head over to Josh's pond for 15 inch cats to clean kill the skunk.
Oh, i left plenty of four letter words in Nebraska, only the wind was so high they were blown away before anyone could hear them...

yeah, i need to do something about this skunk...its bitten me more this year than ever before. i might need to head to Josh's to fix this deliemma...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Rottal - Did ya see a tent right on the beach at Martin Bay, close to the dock?

That was us. After reading all of the posts on here about Big Mac, we also desided to give it a shot.

Drove down after work on Friday. Friday night was beautiful out there, other than a little windy off and on, but was really neat to be able to build a fire on the beach. Got some bites, no fish.

Saturday morning I caught one small mouth, threw it back and then we desided to go exploring.

We drove along the main road, where you can turn off to all the differant bays and we got down to Lemoyne and had heard from a friend the fishing was good there also, drove way out onto the beach to the water, got out everything and then found out you could walk out at least a 1/4 mile and the water was never over our knees.

We then drove to where the map says otter creek, followed the road past the houses then you see an old dock, lots of brush and trees, no water and a sandy road on the left, we drove down it for awhile, until we were literally right next to a creek, you could see a few places people had started fires on the bank, so we got out and walked around. Saw fish jumping and thought what the heck let's give it a try.

It was about 8:30am, fished until 2pm and caught two huge carp, and 4 nice catfish about 3-5lbs each. You could see the fish rolling under the muddy water, there were literally hundreds. The only thing they were really biting on was worms though, we tried livers, crawdads, and cut bait. (have pics will have to post)

We only saw two other people the entire time we were down there, I don't think many people know about it. Then a guy who lives there came down and talked to us, said the river was a tiny trickle a week ago, his small daughters were walking across it and playing on the otherside and then Wyoming was draining some resevouir, and this is where all the water and fish were coming from.

So if anyone goes to Big Mac in the next week or two, check it out, it was a blast. It's sort of out of the way, but worth it.
(Got a horrible sunburn though :'()

So we went over to Ogallala and messed around. Then went back to camp to fix dinner and saw it was taken over by people building sand castles. Who knew it was kites and castles day, some annual thing they do there. Left our boys, age 12 & 15 at camp and went to the showers at Little Thunder campground, came back and the poor kids were hanging on to the side poles of the tent hang gliding in the wind!! LOL.

Some lady was hanging on for dear life to her boat so we went to help her until her husband could get to her, then back to the tent, poles flying out, tent crashing down.

I thought okay maybe if we all sit inside it and hold it down until this blows over we will be fine. So the 4 of us get in, the top crashes in on us, poles are still coming out, the boys are being literally lifted off the ground by the wind. (Got pics of this too, will have to post) Finally we deside it's best to get everything to the van.

Brian walks outside the tent and hears people near the water, shines his flashlight toward the water, there is 5-6 naked people standing there, trying to duck into the water out of the light. Late teens, early twenties. He laughs and comes back in to tell me. A few mins later he hears alot of laughing and talking so he goes back out, the people are now on shore, to mess with them, he shines he flashlight (bright LED one) again, Naked people standing there shocked, trying desperatly to get dressed. We laughed so hard.

So when we get our tent down and stuff into the van, there left on the beach is a futon or something and a couple pairs of underwear. Hmmmm

Interesting trip to say the least. We'll chalk it up to an experience at least. ;)

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
came back and the poor kids were hanging on to the side poles of the tent hang gliding in the wind!! LOL.

Brian walks outside the tent and hears people near the water, shines his flashlight toward the water, there is 5-6 naked people standing there, trying to duck into the water out of the light.

left on the beach is a futon or something and a couple pairs of underwear. Hmmmm

LOL That is too funny good story man.

·
Registered
499 Posts
LOL

Very good story, I love adventures like that.

I wonder if there is a slot size limit for snagging
20-somthing naked people?

e.g. must be taller than 5'-0" and less than 5'-6" (for your own safety), strictly catch and release using barbless hooks.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Concerning Otter Creek. Me and My dad duck hunted that last year. Man o man was that cool. Pintails mallards teal. everything. It is a very good area no matter what you are doing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts