Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my buddy wanted to head down there this weekend, just wanted to know if anyone has fished it recently and if so what was working. he said a friend of his told him they were banging the walleyes and wipers, but i havent seen anything about the fishing there recently on this site. i've never been there so any info would be appreciated.

T

·
0 Posts
Have been there once.  Used crawdads for wipers & cut bait(carp) for catfish.  I was also tossing rapalas along the dam.  Lost three lures to the fishes.  I believe the first one I lost the lure to was a walleye(so dang close too) & the last two to a white bass/wiper. 

HookNLine & Fisher32 are the PROS @ Big Mac. Do a Search on BIG MAC... There are some nice pics...

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Call out HookNLine. So far, he's been one of the more frequent visitors to Big Mac (if not the most) that's been posting. In fact, the guy has been kind of like a "friendly" guide. Very knowledgeable.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I was there last week. Caught some very nice catfish. A 20 lber and a few 5-6 lbers. We were using crawdads. You should fish the east bay on the beach, exit K1. It's very shallow but the cats love that place. All other speciesc are slow unless you run into a boil. I did'nt see any in 4 days of fishing.

Note: bring a minnow net to get the baby shads. My friend got a nice walleye and lost a big one on it.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Note: bring a minnow net to get the baby shads. My friend got a nice walleye and lost a big one on it.
you were able to dip the shad from the lake and use them for bait? would a cast net work better?

·
Registered
988 Posts
Cast net would be the sh%t. There's not many out but you can still get a few dozen and it's perfectly legal there. So if you got one use it.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
cool ill have to keep that in mind

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Legal but it has to be the right size. I haven't been to big mac for maybe a month. Been killing the wipers in southeast colorado. Some of my family friends went out to big mac this past friday and did really good on catfish. I dont know where they fished at, if you want to know let me know ill call them.
Good Luck to you if you go dont let the sand and mud get you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts