Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yessir...my monster walleye. I do agree with you though...if they didn't have restrictions, there wouldn't be any fish left BUT it's hard staying within the restrictions--all the fish are so damn big!

M

·
0 Posts
I gotta agree with the restrictions - My first trip to Lake Mac was July 4, 1993. The hedonism!!!! I thought those things only happened on TV or Palm Beach. I almost died a couple times that weekend - first from alcohol poisoning (we won't talk about the young lady that was serving up margaritas in a certain way) then from a guy throwing an unopened box of fireworks on the camp fire (yes, sky rockets do bounce off of tents when they go off). A friend even had the privilage of shooting a nudie video while we tried to dig out the big truck that was trying to pull out the little truck, that was trying to pull out the Suzuki Samari.

Boy, did I learn a lot that weekend.

I think we're better off with no fireworks, no atv's driving into crowds, etc., etc. It makes the trip more enjoyable (and survivable).

As far as fishing, I got a monster walleye there too! It'll always be one of my top 10 favorite places.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But with gas prices and buying the NE license, CO license, the limit on fish sucks for us CO folks but I love that lake...too bad CO doesn't have a place like that. It's definitely in my top 5 all-time lake.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I know of another lake in NE where the big walleyes like to jump into boats during springtime. Fewer people with the "spring break" mentality and much smaller crowds. Cabela's actually brings clients here for big walleye fishing. It is called Lake Minatare and is just about the same amount of driving from Denver. For the most part the rangers leave you alone and there are great camping spots. The walleye fishing should be really getting going right now too.

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
I've been to Minitare,it's nothing like Big Mac for #'s of big guys!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Same drive--along I-80? Always down for a new place...anyone been to Swanson? Heard some stories from there but never been and have no idea where it is?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mr. Ed said:
I gotta agree with the restrictions - My first trip to Lake Mac was July 4, 1993.  The hedonism!!!!  I thought those things only happened on TV or Palm Beach.  I almost died a couple times that weekend - first from alcohol poisoning (we won't talk about the young lady that was serving up margaritas in a certain way) then from a guy throwing an unopened box of fireworks on the camp fire (yes, sky rockets do bounce off of tents when they go off).  A friend even had the privilage of shooting a nudie video while we tried to dig out the big truck that was trying to pull out the little truck, that was trying to pull out the Suzuki Samari.

Boy, did I learn a lot that weekend.

I think we're better off with no fireworks, no atv's driving into crowds, etc., etc.  It makes the trip more enjoyable (and survivable).

As far as fishing, I got a monster walleye there too!  It'll always be one of my top 10 favorite places.
Those are the reasons why there is no more drinking at Ne state parks!!! Big Mac ruined it for the rest of Ne.

M

·
0 Posts
Phishfarm said:
Those are the reasons why there is no more drinking at Ne state parks!!! Big Mac ruined it for the rest of Ne.
Agreed - my experience since has been that as long as things aren't out of control and are kept low key, the enforcement is a bit more lapse.

Year before last I ran into some kids that were trying to keep the tradition going - planted a telephone pole in the sand and stacked pallets around it for a bon-fire, had an ATV chasing people along the beach, pickup truck high centered in the water (that was funny), Lighting signal flares for the rangers...um, I mean sky rockets, etc., etc.

The hilarious thing was you could have watched the whole thing from the Big Mac web cam that overlooks Diver's Bay.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Lake Minatare is only a 1 hour drive NORTH of I-80 on Highway 71. PM me for better directions. This lake is great for catching walleyes in a float tube once the water level rises and the big cottonwood trees are flooded. Now is a good time for trolling by the dam and the lake's center. Lots of wipers, perch, crappies, etc. in there too.

Merrit reservoir is in CHerry county just outside of Valentine. in very north side of NE. If you think driving the two laner to Minatare is boring, just try Highway 20 on the way to Merrit. This drive sucks. Merrit is known for superb pike fishing. LOTS of big (state record is established/reestablished fairly often here) Pike in that lake.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts