Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
I know of another lake in NE where the big walleyes like to jump into boats during springtime. Fewer people with the "spring break" mentality and much smaller crowds. Cabela's actually brings clients here for big walleye fishing. It is called Lake Minatare and is just about the same amount of driving from Denver. For the most part the rangers leave you alone and there are great camping spots. The walleye fishing should be really getting going right now too.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Lake Minatare is only a 1 hour drive NORTH of I-80 on Highway 71. PM me for better directions. This lake is great for catching walleyes in a float tube once the water level rises and the big cottonwood trees are flooded. Now is a good time for trolling by the dam and the lake's center. Lots of wipers, perch, crappies, etc. in there too.

Merrit reservoir is in CHerry county just outside of Valentine. in very north side of NE. If you think driving the two laner to Minatare is boring, just try Highway 20 on the way to Merrit. This drive sucks. Merrit is known for superb pike fishing. LOTS of big (state record is established/reestablished fairly often here) Pike in that lake.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts