Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
I've always wondered the importance of the pike minnow, razorback and ponytail... I hope the pike eat everything and grow big

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Im with Oyey.

Also, I hope some true environmentalists show up in this thread so it attracts the infamous bobberfish to show up and freak out on everyone with death threats and such :biggrin1:

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
They still giving $20 for pike at Wolford? I threw back 3 b4 I knew about the reward-

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
GM never was much of a trout lake. I wonder if they stopped stocking and have given up on kokanee because of the gill lice problem and now figure their only option is to try to make it a decent trout fishery.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I understand many people like the pike they want more fisheries for it, but an illegal introduction of pike is still illegal. There is obviously a biologist that believes they could pose a threat for species down stream. I am not a biologist, nor do I know much about the pike minnow, or razorback or ponytail. But I will say that if they want these pike or for the conservation of others I'm going to stand with the biologists.
This is exactly the same as wolves being reintroduced, sure some of you may be for that idea to but it's the same concept, a predator that will throw off the balance of the other parts of the eco system.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
The problem is the endangered species, see trash fish listed above, are endangered because they placed dams on the Colorado River changing their habitat. I'm not talking about Green Mountain in particular in regards to fish management. It also amazes me that they continue to stock trout throughout the system. It's as if they believe trout don't eat minnows.

With the money they spend on a battle they'll never win...They could build an endangered species "sea world". Save some bucks and rear them to their hearts content.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Riv, you're retarded.

Another problem is human nature. The endangered species act has been captured by a block of thought that wants to control through aversion to change. There is money to make from opposition.
"If you're not part of the solution, there is good money to be made in prolonging the problem"

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
The problem is the endangered species, see trash fish listed above, are endangered because they placed dams on the Colorado River changing their habitat. I'm not talking about Green Mountain in particular in regards to fish management. It also amazes me that they continue to stock trout throughout the system. It's as if they believe trout don't eat minnows.

With the money they spend on a battle they'll never win...They could build an endangered species "sea world". Save some bucks and rear them to their hearts content.
THIS!

I think it's kind of comical to pay money on a battle that will be lost. I was just thinking about the numbers and I just don't see how angling is going to keep up with reproduction. I can't imagine more than a couple thousand pike being caught per year. Fork out 50 grand a year to keep numbers down? Keeping numbers down accomplishes little.

The DOW should consider managing a few lakes for pike in CO... just 3-4 of the hundreds. Maybe bucket biologists would be less likely to do their thing if there were alternatives. Pike grow huge here and pike fisherman are starting to spend good coin on chasing monsters. There's gotta be a way to capitalize on this and help other causes at the same time.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I understand trying to perserve our native fish....what I don't understand is that the biologist know they can not eradicate pike out of the Yampa River, they can manage it but they will never be able to get rid of all the pike....they will most likely kill off Elkhead Res in the future to rid it of the pike cuz they are afraid of those pike getting into the Yampa River??? They shock the river on a regular basis to manage it so who cares if a few pike escape Elkhead and get into a river system that already has the pike in there and will never get rid of them(pike) in the river and your going to shock anyways to manage it(the pike problem)???

DUMB! Waste of money! Waste of resource!

Agree with Hobie that our government created this problem when they built the Hoover and Glen Canyon Dams!! That is what started the decline of these precious native fish...

·
Registered
72 Posts
CPW gets $16 Million per year from the feds for the eradication. Have been for the past 20 years or so. Never going to win this battle but that won't keep them from destroying/degrading sport fisheries. Can't fund AIS so get ready to lose access to lakes and State parks. Couldn't pass the funding bill to increase license fees so prepare to see more cuts and closures. Just wait until they have to start selling land and not renewing leases because of no $$$. I'm sure the wealthy will be ready to scoop up those properties and put up signs and fences to keep us out. Very sad state of affairs in CO these days.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well put Carroth.

Here is what we get for our license dollars. More Wanton Waste propagated by our friends at CPW.

All day everyday on every river...No stocking just shock and kill. They shock them, net them, then throw them into a bucket without even dispatching them. Rude, crude and illegal in anyone's book.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
no way a fan of CPW killing sprees , but I can stomach the bounty better than the kill fleets netting and killing in Blue Mesa and now Rifle Gap! Carroth nailed it though they get huge Federal funding to conduct eradication on non natives (excluding the precious ones RBT).

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
This is nothing new, they just started advertising it.
Last I heard GM wouldn't be stocked with Rainbows or Kokanee for 3 years due to Gill lice and to give Jon Ewert a place to perform his Lake trout body condition without stocked fish experiment.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts