Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually only catch a few pure green sunfish each year, but bunch of hybrids. This year I've managed to pick up several nice pure green sunfish already. Here's a few from last week:

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
How can you tell if they are hybrids, I've been under the impression I've been catching green sunfish these past few days, they look exactly like the one in your picture just not as big. I have caught a **** ton of them recently

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How can you tell if they are hybrids, I've been under the impression I've been catching green sunfish these past few days, they look exactly like the one in your picture just not as big. I have caught a **** ton of them recently
Take me to your fishing spot and I'll help ID:biggrin1:

Hybrids will have a bigger mouth than a bluegill, but not as big as a pure green sunfish. The green sunfish mouth will extend beneath the pupil. Hybrids usually won't. Hybrids will usually have a compressed (rounder) body than a pure green sunfish. This comes from the bluegill genes. Green sunfish will be longer proportionally, like a bass. Green sunfish typically have a darker, more uniform coloration. Sometimes the fins are darker on a green sunfish. Here are some hybrids:

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Yep... A green sunfish looks (in many ways) more like a LMB than a gill. Gills have a very thin crappie-like body, while greenies often are thicker in the mid-section and longer.

An awesome fish, and a real pleasure to fish for. The largeness of the mouth really diversifies the size and type of baits it will attack. Greenies will also go airborne alot more often than gills. This may be a fluke phenomenon, but every green sunfish I have caught came out of the water on me.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good catfish bait. In Missouri, you could rig them up on trotlines (not trout lines!) in the rivers and catch big flatheads.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts