Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit up Sandpiper with my daughters and buddy Scott and his boy. I also brought the Beagle with me. I swear by it that this old dog has been the best damn fishing dog ever.

Anyway, a little on the slow side for this park but we managed about twenty fish in three hours. Dropped my line in after getting the tent and kids set up and hooked into this beaut...

Probally 20"er and a couple pound Snakey! For a moment I thought I was at Antero.

Kids all got into the tiny slimers as well.

Ended up putting one tiny Bluegill on the ice as well. The gills would come through in schools right below the ice as we could see them while looking into the holes. Ice was 3 1/2" and hard. All of the typicall trout baits and jigs worked.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
all of us were up there today, they put a bunch of breeders in the ponds for spawn this year i guess.....i also heard saugeye were put in a pond......a guy on mallard got a really fat 20-21 and a nice 16-17incher. did that ranger come by and check ur guy's license? ive delt with him before, dont wanna rag on him but ehh.... he's ticket happy. and that ice was hard but at the end of the day around noon we were crackin through an inch of slush and felt the ice flex as we were gettin off. enough vrain for me, nice fish though man, and cool report. my buddy got a 27 inch carp outa mallard over the summer LOL

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
GrumpieGills said:
did that ranger come by and check ur guy's license? ive delt with him before, dont wanna rag on him but ehh.... he's ticket happy.
I dont see the problem with a ranger checking my liscense. I actually welcome it, helps me see the guy is doing his job.
IMO the more tickets he hands out to people for fishing without a liscense, tickets for rod stamp violations, too many fish, etc...
THE BETTER!

Nice fish btw.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Unlike the argument that was made and witnessed yesterday! One Forum member showed up on the ice and caught his limit of trout in less then 20min! was still fishing when the ranger approached him and asked why are you still fishing? He said I'm fishing for other fish then trout! I'm fishing for perch, walleye ect! Ranger said no your done! Because if he caught another trout it's against the law.
And I have a question! I pulled in a couple trout that where snagged> one below the mouth and a couple on the fins! What are the regulations there.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I age and I'm glad he is checking licenses and handing out tickets for illegal things. I hope he's not being a douche because if his power and yes they have some freaking pull!

I do have one question though, I fish for the sport because I don't eat trout anymore. What is the difference on me catching and putting fish back in the water because I don't want any, and if im going to keep some, having my limit on the ice in plain view and fishing for the fun of it? I know that someone may "cheat" by transporting fish in places that can't be seen! My family asks me all the time where is the fish I caught. When I tell them I don't keep em , they think I'm nuts!

I guess this is why it sux to be an honest fisherman?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GrumpieGills said:
did that ranger come by and check ur guy's license? ive delt with him before, dont wanna rag on him but ehh.... he's ticket happy. and that ice was hard but at the end of the day around noon we were crackin through an inch of slush and felt the ice flex as we were gettin off. enough vrain for me, nice fish though man, and cool report.
Funny you mention this. As I pulled into the park I noticed that there was a cop with his emergency lights on before the park entrance. I thought to myself that this was strange and wondered what he was doing. As I approched, it was a Park Ranger rather than a cop. We get through the entance and park at the lake where my friend and son wre getting out of their car. He says to me, "Did you see what just happened? I just got pulled over for speeding!" I asked him how fast he was going and he said probally about 23 MPH. I guess the speed limit is 15 MPH in the park. Funny part was that he was pulled over about two hundred yards before the park entrance. On the way out of the Park we looked for speed limit signs but did not notice any.

We experienced a little sag on the ice but not enough to feel uncomfortable.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
from the way the Park Rager stated it yesterday! If you bring four trout thru that hole whether you release or not your done! So if your fishing for the sport your screwed! Yes I do agree that this Particular ranger was doing his job! If it where not for rangers like him we wouldn't have any fish to catch.. They could be a lil more pleasant! We pay there bilss!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Benson are you saying that the ranger there counts fish released as part of your possession limit?
I don't see how you can count a fish as being in possession if it is released to be caught again.
I have been to St Vrain....most of the fish you catch are pretty small....fun to catch, but too small to keep in my opinion.
Normally I release most of the fish I catch there and only keep 'em if they are of decent size.
I have had 30 and 40 fish days there.....is the ranger saying that if I catch and release 4 fish I have to quit?
If I quit when I had caught and released 4 of those puny fish, I'd be done in 15 minutes.
I ain't payin' $7.00 to fish for 15 minutes.....

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
we were out there yesterday and talked to the Ranger and he was totally cool with us. we said that earier this season we did one of our 50 fish days and he had no problem with it. was fishing next to a bunch of guys and they were killing them and keeping everything they caught. So the ranger talked to them. dont know the out come there we were leaving at that time. we did ok got 6 or 7 trout and about that many gills. little basturd kept eating my bait.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I heard the ranger say that if you hook them and they are bleeding you can't put them back! "common sense" He wasn't that bad with me! Asked for my license and I gave it to him. Offered to give him my Drivers license and he said he believed me! The argument whent like this! "Ranger, you have four trout your done fishing! John doe, well i'm not fishing for trout, I'm fishing for perch, blue gill, walleye ect. Ranger, If you hook another rainbow and it swallows the hook you can't throw the fish back in which makes it another adition to your bag limit". So my suggestion to anyone thats fishing for the sport to allways release the fourth one!

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Benson said:
from the way the Park Rager stated it yesterday! If you bring four trout thru that hole whether you release or not your done! So if your fishing for the sport your screwed!
Sounds like that ranger needs to learn the law. Fish that are released immediately do not count against your limit. You can continue catch and release fishing after you have kept your limit.

From the 2011 regs:

"Any fish caught and placed on a stringer, in a container or in a live well, or not returned to the water immediately, will be counted as part of the established daily bag or possession limit....."

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Nice job. Good to see our favorite close ponds to fish are doing well. Oh, how we love ice season!

And excellent, excellent beautiful fish.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts