Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
Hey Kenny, ive caught a couple almost that big on 1/4 oz. Kastys- 6lb mono-
Accidentally catching a big fish on a tiny bait is def possible... shoot, you may even target them and do ok, however big fish like big meals. The amount of big ass fish I have caught on swimbaits is quickly taking over the amount I caught on smaller baits... I will say that I think there is an ideal size for certain species. My 8" baits don't produce as well as my 6.5" baits and I haven't noticed a big difference in the size on each. That said, my confidence is in my 5.5-7" baits, and CONFIDENCE IS EVERYTHING.

As far as spinning vs. baitcasting... Spinning are good for a few things, but swimbaits and accuracy are not them. IF I got the exact swimbait rod with the right spinning reel, I MIGHT get a few extra feet out of a cast, but the best/longest casters I know (not me) cast further with a baitcaster than with spinning.... Also, spinning gear twists line and tends to be fast... most of my big fish hunting is done slow.

good info on this thread...

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Shoot...When I watch boon cast his baitcasters...I figure he's stationary trolling. He whips it out a quarter of a mile or so and then slowing reels it in. If I was going to fish big swimbaits...I'd definitely want a quality baitcaster and a quality rod or three...depending upon the weight of the bait... to fish them.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Hey Kenny, ive caught a couple almost that big on 1/4 oz. Kastys- 6lb mono-
Yup, big pike are caught on powerbait too… What does that tell you? Go fish with powerbait for pike?

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Swimbaits suck
Baitcasters suck more

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I have swimbait rods custom built on the same blanks, one spinning, one spiral wrapped casting. 40 lb braid on the spinning with a 3500 sized reel. Daiwa pluton in the casting with 20 lb Yozuri hybrid. Casting distance is about the same, and really depends on me. I might get a little more out of the spinning, but I'm a lot more accurate with the casting. Both are great to fish. There are very very few off the rack spinning rods out there truly for swimbaits.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Has anyone had any experience with the ugly stick casting rods? I need to get a swimbait set up but I'm trying to keep it around 300$

·
Registered
731 Posts
Has anyone had any experience with the ugly stick casting rods? I need to get a swimbait set up but I'm trying to keep it around 300$
Don't do that. If you want a good entry level bang for the buck Swimmy Rod, check out the Okuma Guide Selects.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I got my set up last fall for around $300. Daiwa Zillion on sale at Tacklewarehouse for $177 + Daiwa Tatula HD on Ebay for about $120. Look around. It's doable, without resorting to the Ugly Stick.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I got my set up last fall for around $300. Daiwa Zillion on sale at Tacklewarehouse for $177 + Daiwa Tatula HD on Ebay for about $120. Look around. It's doable, without resorting to the Ugly Stick.
I remember that thread now AO, have you gotten to use it since you've gotten it? How do you like it?

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
You can get a shimano Cardiff and an okuma guide select big bait rod for $230. The rods 130, the reels about $100. Currently looking at this setup myself. From what I've been told and read, should make for a sweet swimbait rig

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I also noticed cabelas has some good looking cabelas brand swimbait rods for about $80. I'm sure the okumas would be better. But, if you buy a cabelas brand rod with the warranty you get if you break the rod you can just take rod back to the store and get a brand new one instead of mailing it in for a warranty repair.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I am SUPER in. Ill show you my calcutta DC........and you will vomit.[/QUOTE

That be awesome! Generous offer from you and Wiggles, that'd be great other than the vomit part and I'm happy to let you guys school me!
Count me in too. I wanna out cast PD with just a wrist cast :cool: .

·
Registered
11,849 Posts

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I remember that thread now AO, have you gotten to use it since you've gotten it? How do you like it?
I think it's a sweet set up for the money. The rod is well balanced and light. The ergonomics are great, and that's a very important factor for me. The rod just feels right in my hand. The reel works fine. If you are on a tight budget, I'd look into the Okuma Guide Select or St Croix Mojo others have suggested.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts