Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished the Thompson below olympus dam this morning. The wind was absolutley horrible and blew all day. It almost blew me off the river. I was hooking my self, not casting correctly, and just having a bad time. But then another angler I was talking to told me "a bad day fishing is better than a good day working" He was right, I turned my view around and had fun the rest of the day. About 10:30 the fish started feeding on top and I caught some little trouts by the first bridge on some rs2s.

Not monsters but a fish on a dry fly in January always gets me going!

I had to work this afternoon so I left about 11:30. I'm glad I was able to pull my grumpy head out of my a**, get my act together and have some fun fishing.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
No offence, but if you wouldn't have posted pics, I wouldn't have believed you. I haven't seen anyone catch out of there the past four times I've fished it! I fished it yesturday also, around 3:30 - 4:30. Nice job, and good report. Are rs2s a common/easy to find fly? I've been using lures, but may have to try flys. You've given me hope (on the area) again, Thanks. Today, I just tried the main lake, nothing,  :-[  again.  :-[ 
  Nice report.

·
Registered
459 Posts
lil fish are better than no fish my brother!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rs2 fly is very common you should be able to find it at any fly shop. I had a hard time early in the morning finding fish. If it's not freezing and the wind isn't to bad at about 10-10:30 you should be able to see fish rising and be able to locate them. I have a secret idea I wan't to try for below the dam and will post if it works.

P.S. what is with all the trash there? Not just on the banks but in the river. Yuck!

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Thanks, I'll have to stop in Kirks (an Estes fly shop), and pick a couple up. I fished again today w/ no luck. My buddy fished from late morning/early afternoon in the lake (estes), he was using worms and power-bait. He had one bite all day. I fished from the marina from 2:15 - 3:45 w/ lures and fly/bubble, nothing.  :-[ Than hit below the dam for about an hour. Also nothing.  :-[  I saw some small fish, but they just wern't interested.  :(  Again though, no one was catching.
The trash there is bad. I imagin it's because of all the wind we've been having. We ended up w/ a kids tent in our yard the other day. There was a huge styrafoam cooler floating near the dam the past couple of days.
What's your idea?  ;D

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really want to try some big streamers in that spill out from the dam. Big and uglies on sinking line. I bet there are some big boys down there. Check out that spot above the spillway under the first bridge. Not the most ideal casting conditions but there were about a dozen fish there sipping bugs down left and right.

N

·
0 Posts
I've been using lures,
Thats why, these fish are way too cold to be chasing a panther martin around.

Sorry I missed ya Hatch. But lets do it soon, maybe sometime next week?
I got Tues and Thurs open, and then the weekend is open.
Looks like ya did OK, though huh? Bring some blood midges and some black beautys too. A crystal midge emerger was the ticket last time I was up there. Some discos on top brought me a few fish to. PM me when you wanna make a trip up there. Good fish.
Oh and hatch, the biggest trout I have ever pulled out of the Big T, came out of that water directly below the spillway. 23". Wait till summer and swing some rainbow streamers down there.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
lures aren't too effective for trout unless the water gets a bit warmer. if worms are legal there james, nothing could possibly beat a drifted nightcrawler. If they are not legal, flyfishing with blood worms or san juan worms would probably be your best bet. If you are fishing with fly and bubble like I saw you mentioned, you prob won't get any river trout. They dont like seeing a bubble from my experience. This is just river trout in general though, I have absolutely no experience fishing the Big T.

N

·
0 Posts
If they are not legal, flyfishing with blood worms or san juan worms would probably be your best bet.
All live bait is forbidden on that stretch, artificial flys and lures only.
And as in previous posts about the big t below olympus....Midges,Midges,Midges. Some guys were saying they were pulling out some hogs with a golden stone nymph. Thats encouraging, only a another couple a months until we see some stonys(YEA!!!!) :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was up there yesterday (01/13/06). I was interested to see if I could pull anything out of the deep section right below the dam. I threw rapalas (big and small), kastmasters and panther martins. Nothing. I did this for about an hour. Then I threw panther martins down farther. Nothing. Even though it was windy, I switched up to my fly rod and caught 3, two on a RS2 and the other stripping an olive wolly bugger. I was there for about 4 hours. I know there has to be some hogs up beneath the dam, but I don't know how to get them. I have seen fish down farther that were over 20" but my best on the Big T is probably 15".

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some guys were saying they were pulling out some hogs with a golden stone nymph. Thats encouraging, only a another couple a months until we see some stonys(YEA!!!!)
The guy at Great Western in loveland told me to use golden stonys. I've never really fished the Thompson a whole lot. When the GSF come off is it a good time to be had?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think that this section gets fished over quite hard especially since it is easy quick access to open water all winter. I have never caught more than 5 fish in a day there. I have watched other obviously more talented fly fishers catch many more.

N

·
0 Posts
When the GSF come off is it a good time to be had?
Oh God yes. That and the tricos are the best hatches on the big t(IMHO). We should start seeing those stonys mid march(I think). Great time. Make sure you make it there. I believe the hatch progresses upstream, so it may be worth your time to work up the canyon a couple days before they get to Wapiti.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
there is some monster browns down there, one day my brother and i were using pincil minow rapala's and we caught one that was about 21 inches, i caught some trout on a pink scud on my fly rod , also on some caddis flys

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Troutfishingbear --- You're right on. Good call. Last year I had luck drifting Powerbait Trout worms, but year this year that's taboo. You're right about the bubble also. I use it sometimes because I'm a clutz in the water. In the summer I always fish right by the go-cart track so the fish don't hear me. :-[ I'll have to try some San Juans. Sportsman's has a longer worm fly w/ a weed gaurd, maybe I'll give one of those a shot right in the spillway. I don't take my fly rod just yet because I'm still a beginer, and the area is always packed. I haven't done as well there this year as the previous 2 years. I think w/ the warmer weather the area is just too pressured. Our friday paper had a guy fishing there on the cover w/ the headline "Trout in Doubt". In my opinion the inlet to the lake is the best bet up here. The lake itself has been good. Saturday, my buddy and I landed 9 in less than 2 hours (2:15-3:55), and he had caught 6 in the 2 hours before that. He was using worms, and I was using a purple Wooly Bugger.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Tiny baits are the key in the Big T.... fished it since I was a boy and without drifting crawlers, tiny Panther Martins or Mepps seem to be the key. My personal best was a 19" Bow this year down by the narrows. I knocked on some doors and got permission to fish just up from there. I saw this SOW of a fish up under a log in a huge hole... she passed up a crawler, but hit a TINY Panther Martin.

Good Luck.......................TONY

1 - 16 of 16 Posts