Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit up the Big T east of HWY 287 yesterday to check out the conditions of my favorite place to fish locally. The river is completely different although still in the same original channel. The banks are now almost clean of willows and "snags" and a lot of the sediment in the bottom has been blown out. A lot of the old hideaways are gone but now new habitat and fish holding structure have been created. Still a lot more cleanup needs to happen as "trash" construction debris, scrap metal, and junk is everywhere. The river seems to almost be in better shape than it was before the flooding because before it has heavily sedimented and widened. The immense power of the flood washed out most the mud and carved a narrower deeper channel in the area I fished.

Now for the bad. The water quality seemed terrible for this time of year as the water was chocolate in color with a visibility of about 6". I walked about a mile stretch and fished eddies, log jambs, undercut banks, and overhanging trees and did not get one bite or follow. Nothing that resembled aquatic life was anywhere. Bugs where hatching and no trout were jumping. Did not notice anything that would suggest fish are alive in this stretch of river. It may be two or three years before we notice a rebound.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Pretty bad news, buuuut....fish are more resilient than you might know. I think once the cleanup is done, and the water clarity gets back to normal, fishing will pick up.

Thanks for posting. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Thx for the post. They're running a lot of heavy equipment in the river higher up putting a lot of silt in the water.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts