Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to the E-mile by myself this morning. Caught 5 and kept 1. Had 8 other bites. Tried the Automatic Fisherman for a while, nothing. Was in 20 feet of water on 18 inches of ice. Fished from 6:30-9:30 am. Wind started screaming around 9:15. A few other anglers scattered over the res. The fish I kept was 17 inch rainbow. His fins and tail was huge. Twice as big as any other rainbow I've ever caught. He put up a hell of a fight with that big tail. The ones I put back must of just been stocked. According to the 11-mile marina website the Colorado DOW just put 30,000 stockers in 8-12 inches. They were light biters but Mr. Big Tail hit like a ton of bricks. Picture coming?

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I seen that tail, I was like is this one of the cross-mix rainbows they were talking about? He fought like an Antero fish, bottom of the hole 4 times before I gaffed him.

S

·
0 Posts
Lake fish genetically have bigger tails than river fish but DAMN, thats one hell of a propeller for a slime dart !

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We'll be out tommorrow morning at Antero circus with the Cajun and friend. Thanks for posting the picture Patrick. O0 Can't wait for next week. Caught on a wax worm, no nightcrawler!! ;D

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Wow...that is odd? Cool though!!

D.J.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The gene that cause lopng fins in fish is extremly common throughout the fish world if you doubt me just walk into pet store and look at all the different long finned species they offer most arent like that in the wild. Would abeen neat if someone had caught it in the hatchery that trait is ussually dominate.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have seen & caught steelhead with large over-size tails & fins like that on lake Erie & Ontario tributaries. While uncommon, a few fish like these are cAught every year, & noone seems to have an explanation why this occurs- theories vary from pollution to simple genetic mutation. Google "fan tail steelhead", you'll see some examples of this. Never seen a trout outside the great lakes area with that trait before- pretty cool, glad you got a pic. ThAnx for sharing....

1 - 20 of 41 Posts