Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started off about 9am at Big Thompson Ponds. Throwing white 3" berkley gulp minnow, green curly tails, some top water lures, a spinner w/ a fly.. nothing. stayed till about noon.

drove over to Simpson Ponds. fished the same stuff, nothing.. saw a HUGE bass laying in some weeds right on the edge of the pond, but as soon as i noticed it, it ran away. was there for about 3 hours. Got bored not getting any bites, so i tried some cut bait for some catfish.. nothing...

i dont know what my problem is.. it doesnt matter how much time i spend on the water, or how much money i spend on new lures, bait, plastics, etc... im just not catching anything! its been over a month now!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've been doing good at Big Thompson lately fishing with Storm 3-inch swimbaits in the second to last pond, with all the cattails. Color doesn't seem to matter; I've caught bass on the bluegill, shad and fire tiger patterns. The key is keeping the swimbait just above all the thick weeds. Most of the bass have been about 12-15 inches but a few have been up to 18 inches. Hopes this works for you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
are catfish less active late at night when the weather is colder like it has been? i know July night fishing for cats is great... but im starting to notice a trend. night fishing this time of year is not producing for me.

Tonight, i finished my day at Boyd. got there late, just to let my dog run around.. fished for bass for about an hour, nothing.. just as it was starting to get dark, i decided to try a piece of berkley blood bait. i have NEVER caught cats on this stuff, but its been in my box for about a year. I was about to give up, nothing serious... i didnt even re-rig my line. i left the jighead on and threw it out... unfortunatly i only had 6 lb line on.. i got a huge bite, set the hook, and pulled the biggest cat fish ive ever "almost" caught up to the edge of the shore, but it was WAY too heavy to pull out of the water. broke the line.. i quickly put my 20lb spool on, and riged it up right. got a solid bite, but when i set the hook, it had already left... cleaned the bait right off the hook. i stayed there for another hour or so, but it seemed to have given up.

ill catch it tomorrow and post a picture! this is the 2nd time ive seen the same fish in the same hole.. its BOUND to be there tomorrow!! my skunking is soon to END!!! ;)

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
6 lb line won't cut it for cats at Boyd. I have seen 18-20 pounders come out of there and those probably weren't the biggest in the lake. Stick with the 20 lb line and take a landing net with you.

Good luck.

W. E.

·
Registered
279 Posts
szangomango, I do better for cats in the fall during the day. The water gets too cold at night and it does turn them off. However, big cats will continue for at least another month to feed at night. There are some HUGE cats in Boyd so be prepared. 20lb test or bigger, 3/0 hooks, MH poles, and a helluva stringer to hold all the cats you will catch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts