Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got there about 5 or so ....caught a few cats on chicken liver and shrimp nothin to brag about but im sure they will taste good.....some bonehead caught about a 10lb channel cat and thru him up on the bank to die...what an ass.........seen a few people hunting heard a few shots i assume some of them did ok .....all in all good morning but I would rather be up at green mountain snagging

·
Registered
176 Posts
right on, I'm not trying to sound like a nazi, but I've got a few friends that are game wardens- they have warned me that this year is not a one to step out of line with regs for hunting( not that I would any way) They say that they are staffed up more than ever for just enforcing and punishing hunters who screw up- intentionally or not. they are looking to make examples this year-

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rules are rules man ....when I see someone doing something that isnt right when they are fishing i get mad as hell.....I always check the rules before I fish a body of water to make sure I obide by them ......take all the peoples privledges away who blatantly brake the rules

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just ate my fillets for lunch and they were great...!!!!! took my puppy black lab cheyenne for the trip and she got her cut of the meat

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good stuff beer batterd with some corn and mashed potato's ....well worth getting up at 3 ....even though I havent figured out how to catch the monsters like catman

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey fishinguitars, what area did you hit them cats at (if you don't mind me asking)? Also please tell me that guy took that 10lb cat with him. :mad:

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the guy didnt take the cat he just threw it up on shore to die....I didnt see it happen but ive never heard of a catfish beaching itself ......on the first lake right as you pull in is where I caught them today but usually I work my way all around the first lake and cast close to cover ......

·
Registered
21 Posts

Uggg We must be doing something wrong out there. After reading about all the big cats out there, we went out there last Friday night for four hours in the front pond not one bite.

So we are on vacation until next Wed so went back last night, to the back of the first pond, 3 hrs not one bite. Cut carp bait/shrimp/worms, nothing worked.

So went and tried Lonetree never been there before. Lots of bites, no fish. About 4am all these guys started coming in pairs or threes, and Brian and I were thinking, "Dang, this lake is really popular! Was wondering why all these people weren't at work on a Thursday"

There was literally at least 40-50 people, the entire parking lot got full. Then the shotguns started going off, was a little freaked out at first, then talked to one and found out about Dove hunting season. Duh they weren't carrying fishing poles like we assumed. So we made sure to stay close to the houses (the signs said saftey zone!)lol.

Were getting tired but wanted to see Big Thompson ponds in the daylight, so we went back there. Walked to the back (3rd) pond, caught my first sun fish lol. Then we caught a couple of small cats about 1lb each, threw them back, they were really light colored with a little yellow on them.

Threw out a pole in the 2nd pond, even though it looked kind of gross, and caught a really dark small 1lb channel cat, he didn't fight at all though, I didn't even know he was on my hook until I reeled in to check my bait. Threw him back and Brian caught a itty bitty baby yellow one in the 3rd one threw him back and we headed home.

Someone told us there is a deeper channel at the front edge of the first pond and then it gets shallow further out? Is that true? Any idea on what we are doing wrong, why no bites at night? And no bigger ones at all?

Was fun anyway ;) But if anyone has some hints or ideas where we could catch some nice cats or wipers on vacation we'd love it. email us if you want even [email protected] (Brian & Jamey)

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Night_Shadows said:

Uggg We must be doing something wrong out there. After reading about all the big cats out there, we went out there last Friday night  for four hours in the front pond not one bite.
No, ive been there many times and a majority of my trips there were fishless. Ive fished the back pond quite a bit and havnt caught one cat there, the only ones ive caught have been in the front pond and they were fairly small. im not saying they arent in there, but catching them can be tough. so far i think my timing has just been off...

so, dont worry...its not you, its the cats that arent cooperating ;)

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
its one of the lakes for me thats either really on ...or nadda ....if im just looking to catch some cats and dont care about size I dont think anything is gonna beat chickenliver...another thing ive noticed about the people at big thompson ponds ...there is good accsess with your car or truck but no one does the walking ....walk around the whole lake and find a spot ...dont just stop the truck and fish from the tailgate

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So you saw a 10lber, eh, fishingguitars? I have been telling people about the big cats I catch out of Big Thompson Ponds for years. Especially the 29 lber I caught just recently. I was there two days ago and caught 12 fish. The smallest was 4 lbs and the biggest was 12 lbs. In my own opinion this fishery is #1 in this region, followed by Lonetree, Boedecker, Boyd, and LonHagler. Try cut bait or live bait at Big Thompson, fishingguitars. They seem to work best there.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yea live bluegills huh....ill have to try it ..do you put them on a slip rig ......I was hooking my bluegills wrong i think...I would get massive hits on bluegills, and shrimp but I couldnt get the hook set ..I tried circle hooks which work good for chickenliver but no hookups on anything else ...finally I switched to kahle hooks and no bites ..hahahahah.....yea I love it up there the best thing about it is that not to many people know about it and the ones who do stay right by there cars usually.....

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, I love the folks who fish out of their cars. I saw a guy there the other day who was using his trunk as a rod holder. lol I use a slip rig, but not one many people use. I start with 5/0 circle hook and tie on a 6 inch piece of 50 lb test. Then I attach a 1/0 barrel swivel. Then I slide a three ounce egg sinker and three beads on my main line. Then I attach the swivel to my main line, which is 25 lb test. On the main line about two foot above the sinker I tie a dropper loop and attach a 1/0 circle hook for my attractor and suspending bait. Hook the bluegill underneath the spine just behind the dorsal fin and add your attractor bait (stink, blood) at the top hook and go fishin'. What do you think?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sounds like you have it down to a science ....how hard do those big cats fight....what knot do you use to tie the dropper ..a polymar ? have you ever got two cats at once ?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts