Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Big cats destroy equipment. But it's awesome! The power they have and their ability to peel off hundreds of yards of line is phenomenal. I have been spooled twice in my life. I couldn't even guess how big they were because I could never get them to stop or slow down. They didn't even realize that they were hooked. A hooked fish will fly when they feel the hook. A fish that doesn't know its hook will pull slow and steady never stopping or turning. My biggest fish was a 49 lb flat. And I was able to turn him. So I cannot imagine how big the other two were. Big Blues i imagine.
I use a dropper loop to tie the top hook. Take your line and bring it around to form a circle, wrap one line around six times, pull the two lines apart in the middle, and push the loop through and pull tight. I know it sounds confusing. I don't given good directions.
I have caught two cats at once many times. The biggest was a pair of ten lbers. That took awhile to get them in. Lots of small cats and bullheads though.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was wondering if any of you guys use a bait casting reel? I have a hard enough time with backlash in daylight. I use sight to stop the spool right before the bait hits the water, and would think at night its harder to see the bait. BTW my bait caster has no brake adjustment, just the knob to adjust the drop rate (if thats the right term) and a drag adjustment dial. Mabe I just need to get a feel for it.

One more thing, I hear you can skin, and gut a cat in in one motion. Something like cutting above and behind the head. Then pulling down the head and pulling it toward the rear of the fish. Ever hear of that?

Good info in this thead!
Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yo Yo Baby, you got it! Also you nailed that catfish cleaning. I use the method and can fly through fish like no tomorrow!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
the real trick on that cleaning it to remove that thin strip of skin from the back so when you peel the skin off it is already slit down the back

G

·
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Captain Treblehook,
If you are having trouble with backlash you may not have your spool tesion set right. What I do is set my pole up including bait for total weight, tighten the spool tension down, and then untighten it until your bait starts to drop. That should be proper tension. Then all you ahve to do is gently thumb the spool when you cast. Or you can buy a reel with magnetic resistence. You hardly ever have to worry about adjusting it.

·
Registered
578 Posts
catmann29 said:
So you saw a 10lber, eh, fishingguitars?  I have been telling people about the big cats I catch out of Big Thompson Ponds for years.  Especially the 29 lber I caught just recently.  I was there two days ago and caught 12 fish.  The smallest was 4 lbs and the biggest was 12 lbs.  In my own opinion this fishery is #1 in this region, followed by Lonetree, Boedecker, Boyd, and LonHagler.  Try cut bait or live bait at Big Thompson, fishingguitars.  They seem to work best there.
There are some monsters in Lake Loveland also, but they are hard to catch.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Caught a couple in the low teens from there but that was right after they di a revitalization stocking ten years ago. There was plenty of fish in there to feed up on, so the cats were going crazy.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts