Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey what's the biggest northern pike any of you have ever caught in CO? Mine is 40"+. I don't have a clue on the weight but I would guess between 16 and 20 pounds cuz it wasn't skinny but it wasn't fat either. #15 panther martin, silver. on 8 pound test with a 12 or 15 pound florocarbon leader (I forget which). yampa river.

F

·
0 Posts
RMA 42 inches...Caught on a swimbait this year...I was fishing alone so no picture or witness just a memory..I'm guessing 24lbs or so..

·
Registered
280 Posts
48"+ in the bed of my truck which is 48" it touched both sides pulled 20+ pounds of fillets off it shoudl alet it go too lat enow.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
damn scchase that was almost certainly a state record.
I remember you telling me about that one before...I know where you caught it too. Too bad it isn't much of a pike fishery anymore. It really needed to be protected badly, as did its bass fishery and panfish fishery, now all it has are mostly 10-12" stocker trout that barely hold over if at all, the occasional pike, the rare bass and a decent panfish fishery. It is definitely down though.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
TroutFishingBear said:
Hey what's the biggest northern pike any of you have ever caught in CO? Mine is 40"+. I don't have a clue on the weight but I would guess between 16 and 20 pounds cuz it wasn't skinny but it wasn't fat either. #15 panther martin, silver. on 8 pound test with a 12 or 15 pound florocarbon leader (I forget which). yampa river.
TFB:

Caught a 36"-15lb. Pike At Pastorius reservoir in Durango...Went back in 1998 only to discover that whet hey did dam repair they eliminated the Pike.  Someday i will scan the pictures (before I had gray hair and prior to digital cameras) for you.  What fight and what a hog!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a pic of mine you have all seen it. Look forward to seeing the pics of all your guys' biggest pike.

·
Registered
82 Posts
40"  out of Stage coach I was using my float tube throwing a 6" rainbow rapala thought I was to be towed all over the lake.  People on shore were laughing watching me spinning around in the tube trying to land that damn thing.  It was pretty cool when i raised it out of the water and they all started clapping when they saw the size.  Hope everyone has a chance to catch a monster!

Tight Lines and Bent Rods!
Grizz

·
Registered
24,633 Posts
I was fishing alone so no picture or witness just a memory..I'm guessing 24lbs or so..
...were there leaves on the trees?!... ;)

The state record by Dave Van Cleave weighed 30 pounds six ounces...and was a mere 43.5 inches long...that means the 48 incher above eclipsed it by 4.5 inches...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Even worse she was full of eggs getting ready for the spring spawn as an illustration of the girth of the fish when I pulled her through the 10" hole she touched almost all the way around.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
My biggest was a 35"at 11-Mile. I have caught lots, at both Spinney and 11-Mile in the 33-34 inch range, but have lost the two really large fish I have had on :'(

The heaviest Pike i ever caught was a 34 incher at Bonny during a walleye tournament. It was so full of shad it almost looked deformed.

·
Registered
935 Posts
32"; unknown weight; private lake in Fort Collins. 2003. Caught fly fishing with a HUGE saltwater deciever.

Not terribly big, but fun. I'd have to target pike a lot more to catch a bigger one. Not many big ones in the Front Range, though - not in public lakes, anyway.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I have caught many fish over 40 inches. The longest fish I caught was somewhere between 43 1/2 inches and 45 inches. ( it is hard to measure a fish that big when it is flipping around) It only weighed 15.5. I have a picture of it but I would have to get it scanned to show it to everyone. I will try and do that today. The funny thing is I caught a fish in that same spot the next day that went 39 inches and weighed the same. Looking at the pictures you can really see a difference in shape. The 39 incher has some mean shoulders on her. Both were released. As far a weight is concerned I would have to say the 41 inch 18.7 pound fish I caught was the biggest so far. I have caught a lot of fish over 40 inches just have not got that one I want. I fish Elevenmile mostly and I know she is swiming around in there somwhere.

·
Registered
943 Posts
biggest i caught was 12" out of taryall. i really want to catch a real pike next year

·
Registered
3,605 Posts

You can see how girth in a fish will really affect the actual weight. Both of these fish were caught in the same spot. The top one was caught the first day and was at least 43 1/2 inches long and weighed 15.5 pounds. The second was caught the next day and it was 39 inches and also weighed 15.5 pounds. In my opinion the first fish will never reach state record size. I believe she is at least 3 or 4 years older then the other girl. The 39 incher has real potential to become a state record. Just look at the shoulders on her!!!!! At 39 inches she could easyily put on another 6-10 inches and 15-20 more pounds!!!!!! The longer one put up the best fight I have ever had from a pike. I have some of the best gear money can buy and she really put it to the test!!!!! When I first saw her I thought I had a 25 pound fish on because she was covered in weeds. I didn't mind that she was really light the memories of catching her will last my entire life. God I love these fish!!!!!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On sat I caught a northern pike, mid 40" range, prob mid 20 pound range. Could get the head in the hole but the body was too fat to get through it. And that was a 10" hole! Could have gaffed it and drilled another connecting hole to get it out but didn't. It would've been illegal to do so and it also would've killed that monster northern. It was not caught at stagecoach as I didn't fish there as we had planned (slushy reports).

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
my bro got a 38" 20.8 pound northern from there yesterday. This one fit through the hole better than the other one did. Course, this one didn't always flick his body back and forth below the ice, making it so you couldn't pull him up. Big fish. Picture by next week, I promise.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts