Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at Pueblo not to long ago and some friends and i where in a cove on the SW side of the lake.
The weirdest thing happened, my buddy caught a carp and right after he got it off the shad started rumbling. We casted hoping for something, but you couldn't see any other fish in the cove making passes on them. After it was all over there were several BIG Shad just spinnifng, i thought maybe spinnng disease. Then they all left and only one was spinning and diving and he'd come up and spin again, we finally got close enough and clubbed him he was about 12" long and kinda fat. Have you ever seen one that big before?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
clubbed it? lol.

i wonder if thats a "legal method of take" ;D

actually thats a pretty hefty shad for these parts...a larger brood fish...but they do get big depending on what species they are.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Ken Broeren said:
We've snagged bigger ones than that out at Cherry Creek - 15+ and I've seen bigger ones swimming around.

Use it for cut bait for cats - it makes some good bait!

Ken

Ive also got some pretty big ones out of CC.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
These are gizzard (not threadfin) shad and they routinely get to 15-16". Then they die. Some coves in the early spring on the west end of Pueblo get tremendous schools of them-thousands. That spinning thing they do means its the end-they are in their death throes. Ed

·
Registered
119 Posts
A few weeks ago I saw schools of big shad (15+ inches, including a couple that look like they were 17 or 18) at Prospect Ponds in Fort Collins. I also caught a shad that measured 16 inches at Riverside Park Pond in Evans and have seen a lot of shad there that were aound that same size.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I too have seen huge shad in Prospect Ponds up in Fort Collins. I actually netted two to try and eat them out of curiousity. Tasted great but won't try that again due to all the tiny bones.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've seen some that size up in Glendo. I did'nt know they got that big, do the threadfin get to be that big also?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I caught 8 shads 14-16inch at Washington park last year with hand net, the kind used to land fish which I believe everybody has one at least.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, so sorry to sound like a bad sportsman, but when we saw him we knew he was about dead.
But, its interesting to hear from you guys about their size. Ihad no idea

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts