Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hit up Stagecoach from May 31 to June 5 looking to relax and get my head straight after a tough few months of work, moving and my dream girl leaving me. Took off the week of my birthday for a solo camping/fishing trip to feel better. The weather was perfect and the water was very high and came up another 6 or 8 inches while I was there. Water temp was 58 to 63 and mostly clear. I fished hard for the pike and used alot of top water stuff and weedless swimbaits throwing them deep into the grass and coves. Casted alot of spoons and trolled with shadraps, husky jerks, flicker shads, flicker minnows, rouges, spoons. The rainbows hit on all of these lures, didn't matter they would hit it. After 5 days of pike fishing and hundreds of casts I only got 2 little pike on a white buzzbait, and they came on back to back casts, kind of wierd. It was a great trip, I'll be back in Aug... I hope.

Do I just suck at pike fishing or was it the wrong time of year or is the the DPW taking the pike out of there now? I know that they want them out of there. Maybe with the water being so high they had lots more places to hide?
Had a few good sized ones follow and lost two decent ones around 30", so there are still some in there. But the pike fishing was SLOW

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Never been to Stagecoach but it looks nice from your pictures. Pike can be slow in late May early June, in my limited experience.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Never been to Stagecoach but it looks nice from your pictures. Pike can be slow in late May early June, in my limited experience.
Yah me too- Too early!

Lots of dream girls out there- Check out Craigslist :D

·
Registered
568 Posts
I've seen the pike really active there in July. I've never caught one of bigger ones but lots of hammer handles. Looks like it was still a nice trip.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nice, you can see my house in one of your pics. There are some big Pike in the reservoir. And nice rainbow. If you ever come back, hit me up

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice, you can see my house in one of your pics. There are some big Pike in the reservoir. And nice rainbow. If you ever come back, hit me up
You live in a great place! I plan to be back in mid-late Aug. I'll let you know if work lets me get the time off.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Very cool
Scenic

·
Registered
438 Posts
I hit up Stagecoach from May 31 to June 5 looking to relax and get my head straight after a tough few months of work, moving and my dream girl leaving me. Took off the week of my birthday for a solo camping/fishing trip to feel better. The weather was perfect and the water was very high and came up another 6 or 8 inches while I was there. Water temp was 58 to 63 and mostly clear. I fished hard for the pike and used alot of top water stuff and weedless swimbaits throwing them deep into the grass and coves. Casted alot of spoons and trolled with shadraps, husky jerks, flicker shads, flicker minnows, rouges, spoons. The rainbows hit on all of these lures, didn't matter they would hit it. After 5 days of pike fishing and hundreds of casts I only got 2 little pike on a white buzzbait, and they came on back to back casts, kind of wierd. It was a great trip, I'll be back in Aug... I hope.

Do I just suck at pike fishing or was it the wrong time of year or is the the DPW taking the pike out of there now? I know that they want them out of there. Maybe with the water being so high they had lots more places to hide?
Had a few good sized ones follow and lost two decent ones around 30", so there are still some in there. But the pike fishing was SLOW

never been there, but your pics make me want to. be.....utilfull

1 - 15 of 15 Posts