Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the temporary reprieve in the weather i headed up to bear creek above morrison again this morning. perfect morning...sunny, warm, and none of the violent winds they said would be there. I started in the morning with a basic dry dropper and was getting tugged and struck like crazy on the nymph but man i couldn't hook them. I tried several different ones and nearly every cast in some holes was producing a swirl or a flash of trout and my dry getting pulled under but i was having a heck of a time coming up with a fish when i set the hook. At least the takes were fun and eventually i caught a lot on a simple pheasant tail. Then, just like in my report last week, the crazy hatch started and the surface was freaking alive with risers in every hole. It was crazy...looked like when you throw a handful of trout chow into a hatchery tank. Last week I couldn't see what they were rising to but thanks to a suggestion on my post from highsticker, this time i put on a tiny black gnat and it did the trick. I still had more refusals than takes, but there were so many trout rising that I always had enough takers to make it fun and it was satisfying to catch some and not have to watch them feed endlessly in front of me in frustration. Damn that size 22 black gnat is hard to see, for sure, but it worked pretty well. just like last week, the surface frenzy seemed to go on from around 11 to 1 or so. all in all i ended up catching a buttload of fish, especially for this early in the season, and i missed three buttloads of hits, so lots of action all day and no other fishermen around. nothing better than getting good dry fly action before the runoff season.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just ordered some gnats with a white parachute off the internet. I was wishing i had one of those all day long...would have been easy to see with the sun shining on the parachute.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thanks for your reports MST! Glad you were able to get into some fish like your last trip.

When using small dries... I will at times use a two dry fly rig - large hopper or attractor pattern first and then tie in whatever small dry with 12-18" of tippet. Another thing I will do is use a small dab or two of biostrike. http://www.loonoutdoors.com/biostrike.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts