Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,538 Posts
DMac said:
Actually...
I figured he was talking about the ones on Vail Pass. Never iced 'em, only twice in summer. Definately have potential, I caught tons of fish up to 16" in the middle of the day on metal.

DMAC, do tell! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,251 Posts
if it's the Black Lake in RMNP. i wwas there a month ago and it already had at least 10 inches of ice and 4 feet of snow on the trail. snowshoe in only and it's a pretty long trek of ~6 miles one way for small brookies. and it will be super windy. beautiful place - but that lemon is not worth the squeeze...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Slayerfish, I guess I needed to be more specific. Yes I was talking about Black Lake at Vail pass and was looking for conditions if anyone had been recently. Going tomorrow so will post if fishing is good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,538 Posts
pavelow said:
Thanks Slayerfish, I guess I needed to be more specific. Yes I was talking about Black Lake at Vail pass and was looking for conditions if anyone had been recently. Going tomorrow so will post if fishing is good.
You do know there's 2 lakes there? I thought the lower one fished better-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,176 Posts
The Armchair Angler said:
~6 miles one way for small brookies. and it will be super windy. beautiful place - but that lemon is not worth the squeeze...
Ah...I think they were meduim sized... ;)

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
Even a GIRL can catch good bows at Black Lake on Vail. Niece from last summer, first time we ever hit it, caught 5-6 this size in 2 hours. Good old gold/red Kasty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,897 Posts
Hey if you guys are talking about Black Lake in RMNP I did ice fish it once....it's a decent hike w/ all the gear, auger and all. And hard work to drill through. In fact it was the thickest ice I've ever drilled into, almost ran out of blade. It was so hard to drill through I only drilled two holes and my buddy drilled one. It's fly and lure only so we used tube jigs and we never got one bite! Maybe if we could have moved around more, also I don't know the lake well as far as depths ex. But I've hiked past it a lot. Anyway I'd be impessed to see some fish iced from black lake mainly just because of the work someone would have to put in...maybe I'll try again some time.





BTW real nice fish Hobiecat!! I'm sure that's probably the lake this post is about...


Maybe I'll see if I can find some pics of my snowshoe ice skunking at black in lake in RMNP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As promised here is my report from Black Lake at Vail pass.
Ice: 17-21 inches with 3 ft of snow with more falling
Road conditions were a little sketchy so have good tires but they were open to very close to the lake. Used small diamond jigs with wax worms. Bite was good early morning we caught a couple trout up to 17 inches but kept getting bugged by all the small suckers. Great place to get free laker bait. Overall good trip and would go back but have to watch the weather because of the heavy snows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,538 Posts
pavelow said:
As promised here is my report from Black Lake at Vail pass.
Ice: 17-21 inches with 3 ft of snow with more falling
Road conditions were a little sketchy so have good tires but they were open to very close to the lake. Used small diamond jigs with wax worms. Bite was good early morning we caught a couple trout up to 17 inches but kept getting bugged by all the small suckers. Great place to get free laker bait. Overall good trip and would go back but have to watch the weather because of the heavy snows.
Nice!
 
W

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
pavelow said:
As promised here is my report from Black Lake at Vail pass.
Ice: 17-21 inches with 3 ft of snow with more falling
Road conditions were a little sketchy so have good tires but they were open to very close to the lake. Used small diamond jigs with wax worms. Bite was good early morning we caught a couple trout up to 17 inches but kept getting bugged by all the small suckers. Great place to get free laker bait. Overall good trip and would go back but have to watch the weather because of the heavy snows.
I hear you on the free laker bait. I scored lots of great pike bait at Manitou Lake with the kids yesterday. I just didn't break my ace like you did. Nice job!
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top